If you open this website in any Webkit based browser, you'll notice the mistake on the middle table's head. It renders correctly in all versions of IE, Firefox and Opera. The website was created in 2001 so it's old in design (and needs updating) but still, if all other browsers render it correctly something must be up. Is it my mistake or is it a bug? I'm not too experienced anymore but if someone would just give me a clue where to search then I could add code for Webkit based browsers. It seems Webkit based browsers just ignore the width property I'm giving to the cell. You'll find the code of the middle table at line 408 in the source.
Sorry, but it's almost certainly your fault. The site uses a <!DOCTYPE> statement that sends browsers into "Quirks Mode". For optimum cross-browser compatibility, you need to use a complete <!DOCTYPE> statement so that browsers will render the page in "Standards Compliance Mode" so that they're all at least trying to render the page according to the W3C Stanards. Search on 'doctype switch' and you'll find some good advice.
You may also be running into differences in the default margin settings for some tags being different across browsers, which can have a major impact as well. Good luck!
Going out of quicks mode doesn't solve my issue. I had tried that already.
Using <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"> doesn't change anything to the table head.
Any other ideas?
Regardless of whether or not it helped you in this instance, it's always best practice to use a <!DOCTYPE> that sets browsers to Standards Compliance Mode. You'll always end up with a page that renders more consistently across browsers and is easier to maintain and improve. If you rely on Quirks Mode, you'll always be chasing problems.
Please close this thread. The problem has been fixed. I've brought the page to the 21th century but the specific problem I had with Webkit was, as far as I can tell, related to a bug in Webkit. Setting up the doctype, using css for markup nor fixing the coding errors did fix the issue because none of them was related to the issue.
When I made the middle part of the page less complex, Webkit started to render it correctly.