www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: What platform is best for developing PHP?? I was told Lunix, but Windows is seems

What platform is best for developing PHP?? I was told Lunix, but Windows is seems

Windows seems earier! But I was recently told that people develop PHP on Lunix if their servers are Linux based.. How many servers out there are actually Linux based?

Is it difficult to do a Lunix virtual machine on my Windows 7 computer?

who out there is developing on Linux and why?

Normally it's not a big deal as long as you end up with the same versions of PHP, Apache, and MySQL (or whatever DBMS you use); all with the same configuration options. That being said, it's not a big deal these days to set up a Linux virtual machine on Windows. However, I do love the Wampserver user interface on my Windows setup: want to add a PHP extension?...a couple mouse clicks and there it is.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

So WAMPSERVER is like working in Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny916 View Post
    So WAMPSERVER is like working in Linux?
    It's a way to install PHP, MySQL, and Apache onto a Windows system, and provides a handy user interface for working with those elements. It does not emulate Linux, it just provides those 3 web hosting pieces (and some support tools like phpMyAdmin).
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by johnny916 View Post
    How many servers out there are actually Linux based?
    A LOT. In fact I would assume more than windows on the global scope.

I've run both platforms extensively...my company used windows exclusively when I started and I was plagued with patches, viruses, hacks, licensing problems, reboots needed. I now only expose Linux servers to the internet and will never go back...they just run.

On occasion I do have to use windows due to proprietary drivers for programs and databases, or when a client requests it, but in those cases I actually prefer to use Abyss Web Server on Windows. It's small, simple, good support, and low overhead.
    We do precision guesswork

You can work on any platform depending upon what kind of platform you are comfortable whether you want windows development or linux based system such as ubuntu

In the Linux ;
    Installing the PHP Web Stack
    Specifying the Document Root for the Apache2 HTTP Server
    Configuring the MySQL Database Server
    Installing and Enabling the XDebug Debugger

are the required steps whereas in windows :
    Installing and Configuring the XAMPP/WAMP Package
    Checking XAMPP/WAMP Installation
    The detailes are already provided in websites such as netbeans.org provides comprehensive step by step knowledge about all that stuff.
    In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.

Software and Web development by miraclegroup

Thread Information