www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: What's the difference between JQuery and Ajax and why should I be using them???

What's the difference between JQuery and Ajax and why should I be using them???

How often are you guys using them?

How much more productive can I be using these?

Are these consider frameworks?

1. AJAX is the art of exchanging data with a server, and updating parts of a web page - without reloading the whole page. (w3schools.com/ajax)

2. jQuery is a fast, small, and feature-rich JavaScript library. It makes things like HTML document traversal and manipulation, event handling, animation, and Ajax much simpler with an easy-to-use API that works across a multitude of browsers. With a combination of versatility and extensibility, jQuery has changed the way that millions of people write JavaScript. (jquery.com)

3. You may use these things but you are not obliged

4. You can be much more productive (write less, do more - this is the jQuery slogan). Here is the same question already answered: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...and-javascript

If you have target browsers dating back to IE8 or before, one can be magnitudes more productive using jQuery as opposed to ninja-hacking the DOM to work. Most people using jQuery are not capable of ninja-hacking the DOM to work on several browsers. The creator of jQuery, John Resig, wrote the majority of the book on becoming a JavaScript Ninja.

AJAX can make you magnitudes slower in terms of development unless you are a javascript ninja. See, developers like to think we spend our time typing 100/mph at the keyboard, but in reality we are spending most of our time trying to figure out what we did to cause the dilemma we are facing at any given point in software development, and working on solutions to those problems until eventually the software works good enough.. So, with that said, AJAX complicates this, because our debugging tools are currently not designed to work with AJAX. Though there are wonderful experimental tools, such as Cloud9, most people aren't using that, and I think mostly ninjas know about that sort of stuff at the moment, so that goes back to my first exception- I write exclusively AJAX-powerred web applications. I use HTTP and web-sockets to achieve that environment, and am experimenting-as-I-go. I'm not working as fast as I could if I just used wordpress and made a blog, but I find it fun to experiment. Furthermore, AJAX is becoming essential to the user-experience- especially mobile! Combining AJAX-requests with small file-size and cache is very complicated and time-consuming, but it makes offline-browsing work in environments such as phones or tablets during travel. And again, it's funner for the user, and good for the developer to learn.

Thread Information