www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: File upload

File upload

Would someone be able to tell the easiest way to upload an image file to a server?

I have a form created with HTML and javascript with some text boxes and a file input type for uploading a file. When i click the submit button it sends the data to an aspx file which adds it to a database on the server. The filename for the image is stored in the database, but i also want to upload the image to a file on the server. How would i go about that?

That sounds like an asp.net question, not JavaScript.

Well since the button to choose the file is located in the javascript code and since javascript lists the path as C:\fakepath\filename it kind of poses a problem for passing the upload to an aspx file even if i knew how to do it...

Are you using AJAX to upload the file, or a regular form that submits to an ASP page?
    If AJAX:
    There is a ninja technique in order to do this, it is not intuitive. I won't get into it unless necessary.

If form:
    The "action" attribute tells the form where to upload the file to. The "enctype" attribute can be used to upload a file by putting "multipart/form-data" as the value. Example:
    Code:
    <form method="post" action="/path/to/file.aspx" enctype="multipart/form-data">
    <input type="file" name="file">
    <button>Upload</button>
    </form>
    Change "/path/to/file.aspx" to your asp program that uploads files. You can put other data in this form, too- not just files. I don't know how to actually write the ASP code for uploading but I'm sure googling "ASP.net upload file" will tell you everything you need, including repeating what I just said about the form.

files are not a post param, they are in a different collection.

Thread Information