www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: The DUMBEST question ever!

Question The DUMBEST question ever!

Hi!

This is probably the dumbest question ever.

I am familiar with HTML and do all of my coding that way for my website.

I know nothing about PHP!

My mistake started when I purchased the website that was coded in PHP.

I wanted to change the index page and found that I cannot do it.

So I decided to create a new index page plus some other pages that I wanted (in HTML).

I then tried to link the existing PHP index page but I found that the original index page would not open that way!

For some reason putting the link; index.php, will not render a page.

I noticed that the other links on the new PHP site, had a folder with a / at the end, so I created a new folder and put the index.php file in it.

That does not work either.

So is there no way to combine HTML pages with PHP pages on the same website?

If not, I guess I have to learn something new. Learning new things at my age can be difficult!

Please let me know the best way to handle this and if I do need to create my new pages to add to the website and PHP, is there a good program to do this. It seems like it has to be an online site to render PHP because that has to be done by a server, correct?

I have Dreamweaver but apparently it can not render PHP files on my desktop. I need another program to add to it, it seems.

Please help me because I'm totally lost!

Best regards,

Ben

Pieces excuse any errors because this was written with Dragon Naturally Speaking (I only type 15 WPM, otherwise)

I did find a way to link to the pre-existing, PHP website.

I clicked on a link and it went to a page that I had not loaded to the server yet and I got a page not found error, that was brought up by the original website.

I thought, oh, this is great! I clicked on one of the links in it worked and so I copied that link into my mind website (HTML version), uploaded it and voilą, it works as well.

Now I'm left with the problem of how to link to the index page.

If anyone can tell me how to do that, I would be most appreciative!!

In case anyone is wondering why I am doing this; I did not want to lose the webpages that are already indexed in the search engines. Putting up a new HTML website would eliminate everything that is already there, plus there is a Word Press blog which I would like to use.

BTW, after putting up the last post, I realize that you have to spell check by clicking the box with the green check mark in it...

You can link to a html page as easily as a php page. The problem is what the server loads by default.

www.mywebsite.com/index.php will load the php index page,

www.mywebsite.com/index.html will load the html index page.

www.mywebsite.com will load whichever index page is the default which is likely php.

As I recall you can change the default in the .htaccess file. (Haven't done it for awhile.)

Thread Information