www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: will my e-mails be considered spam ?

will my e-mails be considered spam ?

Hi,

I am new to e-mail marketing, and thought someone here might be able to clarify for me as to what is considered spam.

I went to the Spamhause website, and read about it there, and well, I'm still confused.

I have had an Ebay account for quite some time now, and have decided to have my own web site selling, exactly the same items as I do on Ebay. Since I have a list of about 400 customers from Ebay, I would like to let them know about the new web site and provide a link to it in the e-mail. Nothing more, nothing less.

I read about the part on Spamhause "it's not about content it's about consent", but still cannot understand how you are to get anyone to "opt in", if they have never seen or heard of the web site in the first place ?
    As I have few visitors to the site at present, having a subscribe button there would be pointless.
    So my question is two fold :-

If the recipient of the e-mail has purchased from me before (albeit from Ebay), and therefore has had e-mail contact from me before, can this be considered an opt-in to send them my invite e-mail ?

If the answer is no, then my next question is :-

As long as you are not actually selling anything in that e-mail, i.e. you are simply informing them or the existance of the web site, is this still spam ?

I do not intend the send these invite e-mails more than once, per e-mail address.

Your clarity on this would both helpful and appreciated.

Sincerely

Spam is most often considered to be electronic junk mail or junk newsgroup postings. Some people define spam even more generally as any unsolicited email. However, if a long-lost brother finds your email address and sends you a message, this could hardly be called spam, even though it is unsolicited. Real spam is generally email advertising for some product sent to a mailing list or newsgroup.
    Tough call. You'll either offend your 400 people or you won't... Or you'll get a combination of both...

Just don't use a typical home ISP account because they probably have rules against that many mails going out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Tough call. You'll either offend your 400 people or you won't... Or you'll get a combination of both...

Just don't use a typical home ISP account because they probably have rules against that many mails going out.
    Thank you for the reply.

I was either going to send say 25-50 e-mails a day though my own paid for (fatsmail) e-mail account, or go the e-mail marketing web site route, the ones where you pay so much for so many e-mail sends. Most of these (the reputable ones) however, have an anti-spam policy that I do not want to break, hence my question. I seem to get the impression that these companies have an opt-in email that they can send to the potential customer asking if they want to sign up for my newsletter. I really do not understand what the difference is between me doing this and them doing this ?
    Some of them have written back saying no way can I send them, others say I am pretty safe since I have already had business contact with them.
    It's much more complicated than I imagined, and it is not as if I intend to re-send the e-mails again and again. I would just be sending them once and if I get no contact, then I would not send them again.

For a one time mailing I wouldn't use one of the services...

Just try a small mailing and see what happens. Double check fatsmail and see if they have limits on the number of Recipients.... Be sure and stay under the limit.

You can send personalized email using mail merge feature of Outlook, put your address in the footer of your mail, it would be safe it is one time email.

Thread Information