www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting Value of Hidden Form Element

Setting Value of Hidden Form Element

Hey guys,

I am new to Javascript and figured this would be the best place to post this question.
    I am trying to use Javascript to set the value of a hidden Form Element.

I need to call the function on click of another element(radio button set).

The radio button set has only two options.
    Whenever either is clicked i want to call the code to evaluate the condition and set the value of the hidden element.

So the two questions are:

1) where do i need to place my code in respect to the form HTML and how do i call the function from an element click.

2) how do i set the value of the hidden form element. (the value content will be a URL)

Hope this question isn't too stupid for this forum.
    Thanx alot,
    John

<input type="radio" name="hi" value="1" onclick="document.form.hiddenfield.value='23';">
    Richard Turner - A Virtual Insight

wow

man... would you ever laugh if you saw my attempted solution. i was WAY overworking myself. i suppose on something like this i should have expected a slightly simpler solution. thank you very much.

~John

one more problem...

that code generated no errors but i am not getting my desired result.

The value of the hidden field is to be read by a cgi when the form is submitted. somehow the cgi is not picking up the value set onlclick of the radio button.

however it does pick it up when i set it manually like
    <input type=hidden name="redirect" value="http://www.etc.com">.

So the CGI picks up a value but not the one i am setting.

(the cgi is a simple formmail)

~John

are you using this code

<input type="radio" name="hi" value="1" onclick="document.form.hiddenfield.value='http://www.etc.com';">?

should ov said b4 u need to change hiddenfield to redirect and form to your form name

yeah

yeah i know. the form name and elementname are changed to match my form.

perhaps...

maybe i am missing something essential.
    do i have to have anything setup at the beginning of my document to define that i will be using javascript?
    is anything other java code needed in the entire document besides what u mentioned?

~JOhn

works fine

<form name="form">
    <input type="radio" name="hi" value="1" onclick="document.form.hiddenfield.value='http://www.etc.com';">
    <input type="text" name="hiddenfield" size="10">
    </form>

if that was changed to hiddenwould work too dont see whats wrong u got a link or complete page code?

i know

i know the variables are being set by the code you gave.

I made a button to check them after i clicked the radio buttons. it's very odd.

I defined the hidden element with a default value of a URL.

In my code i set the radio buttons.. one with an onclick event and the other without.

When i submit my form if i have clicked the radio button with no onclick event then the redirect option of the CGI works as its supposed to. however if i use the radio button with the onclick event to change the hidden element value then the redirect does not work but rather is ignored by the cgi.

all i can figure is that its a flaw or problem with the cgi. problem persists across browsers.

egad. how annoying.

link or complete page code?

my complete page code

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>

<head>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">
    <meta name="generator" content="Adobe GoLive">
    <title>Online Registration</title>
    <style type="text/css" media="screen"><!--
    @font-face { font-family: Optima; font-size: 12pt; font-stretch: all; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: all; src: local("Optima") }
    --></style>
    </head>

<body bgcolor="#ffffff">

<form id="Register" action="http://formmail.dreamhost.com/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi" method="POST" name="Register" enctype="Default">

<input id="ID_recipient_BC4E067C" type=hidden name="recipient" value="shood@hoodconsultingcorp.com">
    <input id="ID_subject_BC4E067C" type=hidden name="subject" value="10K Race Web Registration">
    <input id="ID_required_BC4E067C" type=hidden name="required" value="realname,address,city,state,zip,sex,shirt,event,email,phone,age,Verify">
    <input type=hidden name="redirect" value="http://www.contactoffayetteville.org/raceAD/redir.html">

<div align="center">
    <button name="buttonName" type="button" onclick="alert(document.Register.redirect.value);">Button</button>
    <table width="400" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5">
    <tr>
    <td>
    <div align="left">
    <font size="5" face="Optima">On-line Registration Form</font></div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr height="3">
    <td bgcolor="#9999ff" height="3">
    <div align="right"></div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td valign="top">
    <div align="right">
    <font face="Optima"><label for="ID_FullName_BC4DFCE4"><font size="2" color="black">Full Name: </font></label><input id="ID_FullName_BC4DFCE4" type="text" name="realname" value="" size="40" maxlength="31"></font><br>
    <font size="2"><font color="gray"><i>(eg. Dr. John H. Smith Jr.)</i></font></font></div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <div align="right">
    <font face="Optima"><label for="ID_address_BC4D7036"><font size="2" color="black">Address:</font></label><input id="ID_address_BC4D7036" type="text" name="address" value="" size="30" maxlength="40"></font></div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <div align="right">
    <font face="Optima"><label for="ID_city_BC4DFCF2"><font size="2" color="black">City:</font></label><input id="ID_city_BC4DFCF2" type="text" name="city" value="" size="30" maxlength="40"></font></div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <div align="right">
    <font face="Optima"><label for="ID_state_BC4DFCF8"><font size="2" color="black">State:</font></label><input id="ID_state_BC4DFCF8" type="text" name="state" value="" size="30" maxlength="40"></font></div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <div align="right">
    <font face="Optima"><label for="ID_state_BC4DFCFE"><font size="2" color="black">Zip:</font></label><input id="ID_state_BC4DFCFE" type="text" name="zip" value="" size="10" maxlength="5"></font></div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <div align="right">
    <font face="Optima"><label for="ID_phone_BC4DFD03"><font size="2" color="black">Phone:</font></label><input id="ID_phone_BC4DFD03" type="text" name="phone" value="" size="30" maxlength="40"></font></div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <div align="right">
    <font face="Optima"><label for="ID_email_BC4DFD09"><font size="2" color="black">Email:</font></label><input id="ID_email_BC4DFD09" type="text" name="email" value="" size="30" maxlength="40"></font></div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td align="right" valign="top">
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <div align="right">
    <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5">
    <tr>
    <td width="150">
    <div align="right">
    <label for="ID_selectName_BC4E00F3"><font size="2" face="Optima">Event:</font></label></div>
    </td>
    <td width="50"><select id="ID_selectName_BC4E00F3" name="event" size="1">
    <option selected>Choose Your Event</option>
    <option value="RACE">10K Crossroads Race</option>
    <option value="WALK">1-Mile Walk of Hope</option>
    </select></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td width="150">
    <div align="right">
    <label><font size="2" color="black">Sex:</font></label></div>
    </td>
    <td width="50">
    <div align="left">
    <select name="sex" size="1">
    <option selected value="Male">Choose</option>
    <option value="Male">Male</option>
    <option value="Female">Female</option>
    </select></div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td width="150">
    <div align="right">
    <label><font size="2" face="Optima">T-shirt Size:</font></label></div>
    </td>
    <td width="50">
    <div align="left">
    <select name="shirt" size="1">
    <option selected value="Male">Choose</option>
    <option value="Medium">Medium</option>
    <option value="Large">Large</option>
    <option value="X-Large">X-Large</option>
    </select></div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td colspan="2" width="298">
    <div align="right">
    <font color="gray"><i><span style="font-size:10.0pt"><font size="1" face="Optima">(T-shirts will be given to the first 200 paid registrants.)</font></span></i></font></div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td width="150">
    <div align="right">
    <label><font size="2" color="black" face="Optima">Age on 3/20/04:</font></label></div>
    </td>
    <td width="50">
    <div align="left">
    <input type="text" name="age" value="" size="3" maxlength="20"><font color="gray" face="Optima"><i>yrs</i></font></div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td><font size="1" face="Optima">I understand that a 10K road race requires a level of physical fitness and health and entails associated risks. I am participating in this race freely and, for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights and claims for damages I have or may have against CONTACT of Fayetteville and/or the organizers and sponsors of this run and their representatives, as well as any and all claims of danger and actions whatsoever in any manner as a result of my participation in this race, including (but not limited to) any injuries I might suffer. I acknowledge that I am aware of the inherent risks involved in running such a race. I grant permission to all the foregoing to use any photographs, motion pictures, recordings or any other record of this event for any legitimate purpose.</font></td>
    </tr>
    <tr height="3">
    <td bgcolor="#9999ff" height="3"></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <div align="right">
    <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5">
    <tr>
    <td width="320"><font size="2" color="black" face="Optima">I certify that I am at least 18 years of age and have read and understand all of the above.</font></td>
    <td width="50"><input type="radio" name="Verify" value="Over18" onclick="document.Register.redirect.value='https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=contact@contactoffayetteville.org&item_name=10k+Crossroads+Race+Registration+-+Adult&item_number=001&&image_url=http://www.contactoffayetteville.org/logo.gif&amount=15.75&no_shipping=1&cn=Additional+Comments&currency_code=USD&lc=US';"></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td width="320">
    <p class="MsoNormal"><font size="2" color="black" face="Optima">I am under 18 years of age. My parent or legal guardian signifies that he/she has read and understands </font><font size="2" color="black" face="Optima">all of the above.</font>
    </td>
    <td width="50"><input type="radio" name="Verify" value="Under18" ></td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr height="3">
    <td bgcolor="#9999ff" height="3"></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <div align="left">
    <table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
    <tr>
    <td align="center" valign="bottom"><input type="reset" value="Clear"></td>
    <td align="center" valign="bottom"><input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Proceed"></td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </div>
    </form>
    </body>

</html>

the redirect field is being set correctly, how are you using its value to redirect?

when the form is submitted a cgi takes the value from the hidden element "redirect" value and sends it on its merry way... unless change it that is.

well everything is fine the value is set correctly, just the cgi reading it that i guess its a problem it may be the url cos got @ & = . / and all that init

aight well thanx a lot for your help! :-)

~John

Thread Information