www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: HTML Form Action Help

Unhappy HTML Form Action Help

Hello,
    I'm definitely new to coding, and am having some trouble with searching withing my site.. What I want to do is to have have a zip code search field on my site that will return all information associated with a particular zip code entered. I
    have over 50 zip codes, all of which I want to return a particular page with info on what is in that particular zip code. I feel like this shouldn't be hard, but then again I'm so new to coding.
    Thanks in advance.

Usually, a web designer would rely on a database and software to handle this kind of job so that everything can be maintained and updated easily. This is probably not something you can do on your own yet. This task would generally require a mySQL database to hold the information about each Zip Code, and some software to do all of the work involved in organizing and displaying the information. The job isn't difficult, but it does require some experience in programming, database, and web design.

But since you're apparently new to web design, you have two choices. You can look in the online script directories to see if someone has a ready-made script that would work for you, or you can simply build your site one page at a time.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Thanks I figured that I would have to mess with a database, but some of my clients could probably just go into my webpage and update their information easier if I go ahead and create multiple pages.

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <body>

<form action="demo_form.asp">
    First name: <input type="text" name="FirstName" value="Mickey"><br>
    Last name: <input type="text" name="LastName" value="Mouse"><br>
    <input type="submit" value="Submit">
    </form>

<p>Click the "Submit" button and the form-data will be sent to a page on the server called "demo_form.asp".</p>

</body>
    </html>

The first question is of course, do you know how a form works? What the action is? How form parameters are passed to the action? If not then a pass by w3schools might be in order.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

Thread Information