www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: unable to pass php variable in script function

unable to pass php variable in script function

hi,
    i am creating two text areas with id's-id11 and id12..what i want is that as soon as user changes the text of any ofthese text areas it should display that text in an alert box.Here is my code:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    <?php
    $i=1;
    while($i)
    {
    echo '<textarea id="id1$i" onchange=Display("id1$i")></textarea>';
    echo "id1$i..<br>";
    if($i==2){break;}
    $i=2;
    }
    ?>
    <input name="Submit" type="submit" value="Submit"/>
    <script>
    function Display(id1$i)
    {
    alert(document.getElementById("id1$i").value);
    }
    </script>
    </html>
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now when i try running this...the problem is when i enter "one" in the first text area box,it displays "one",that's ok.....but when i enter "two" in the second text area box,it still displays "one"......

The only reason dat i can think of why it's hapning lyk dat is the function Display(id1$i) is not taking the value of $i=2...please help!!..

If i use proper names like "id11" and "id12"(i.e i dont use the variable $i anywhere in my code or say if i harcode everythng)..then the code works fine..it displays both "one" "two",respectively..

I found this case a very good example of what happens when you don't respect code notation standards.
    You will notice that I did not change a single line of code. All what changed are the quotes.
    Don't forget, tidy code is half the work.

<?php
    $i=1;
    while($i){
    echo '<textarea id="id1' . $i . '" onchange=Display("id1' . $i . '")></textarea>';
    echo 'id1' . $i . '..<br>';
    if($i==2){break;}
    $i=2;
    }
    ?>

<input name="Submit" type="submit" value="Submit"/>

<script>
    function Display(id){
    alert(document.getElementById(id).value);
    }
    </script>

ok.that works fine.
    can u explain this quotes concept,so that i dnt trouble u guys anymore..
    or can u provide a link that helps me understand concept..

THANK YOU.

$var = "some string" . $somevar;

There is no "official way" to write things, but I always consider the fact that I am not alone writing the code.
    I adopted this way of writing because it is "visual" and keeps everything clear.
    Indeed it is a bit more intricated than $var = "somestring $somevar"; but when you have to review hundreds of lines of code, it does spare quite some headache lol.
    Also, it highlights better in a IDE.

one more thing please.
    i need to insert this value(the one which javascript function shows in an alert box) in a sql database.
    i knw i cannot use javascript to connect to d database,i need to use php for that.
    can u tell me how to do that..just explain,i will write d code..i mean do i need to create a new php file or can i write in the same file, stuff like this....
    btw,thanks for ur help.

The problem here was that PHP variables are not interpolated within single-quoted string literals, only within double-quoted or "heredoc" string literals. For more info, see http://www.php.net/strings.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information