www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: PHP/JavaScript essentials and fast

PHP/JavaScript essentials and fast

I am looking to get back into web development for a career. I know HTML and CSS but I want/need more skills than this. PHP and JavaScript seem to me to be the next logical steps for web development.

So what I want to know is what are the most essential areas of PHP and JavaScript to study, so that I can quickly use these skills to market myself for a job? In addition, how quickly can I expect to learn these to apply to a new career?

I'me afraid "fast" will not be possible. Javascript is a very wide language, and so is PHP.
    For what concerns Javascript, I would recommend you having a look at the jQuery framework.
    It is easy to understand and the jQuery website provides all information needed.
    For what concerns PHP, it depends on what your intentions are.
    In any case, there are plenty of books and tutorials out there to help you.
    If you intend to go serious about php, there is a book I keep as reference:

PHP MASTER - WRITE CUTTING-EDGE CODE
    BY LORNA MITCHELL, DAVEY SHAFIK, MATTHEW TURLAND
    available at http://www.sitepoint.com/

Great. Thank you for the helpful feedback. I know this may be tough to answer but what aspects of PHP would you say are the most in-demand right now? What are employers in need of the most? How can I focus on the most helpful functions of PHP? If this is possible to answer that would be great but I understand if it isn't exactly. Obviously I am a newbie to PHP. I just want to make sure I am focusing on the most important things career-wise to get my foot in the door somewhere. Thanks!

If you're going to use PHP, you're 99.9% likely going to be interacting with a database. So you also need to know SQL, along with how to use PHP to interact with DBMS's (e.g. the MySQLi, PostgreSQL, and PDO extensions, to name probably the most common).

To be competitive in today's market, you also need a good grasp of object-oriented programming principles and the specifics of using OOP in PHP. (I recommend Matt Zandstra's PHP 5 Objects, Patterns, and Practice.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

So what is first place you would start (book, website, vid).....

to learn PHP....

and to learn JavaScript....

thanks for all the help

Thread Information