dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How much time should really be allocated to SEO?

How much time should really be allocated to SEO?

My marketing agency has been pitching a new "package" to me where one of the services would include having an "account manager" that will deal with all my SEO both onsite and offsite. The breakdown of cost of this particular service would come out to roughly $500/mo. My sales rep almost sold me on it, but I have reservations and other questions I need answered from other professionals before I commit to the package.

My main concern with this package is that, she stated for that budget of $500/mo, the account manager can only allocate enough time to optimize for 1 or 2 towns only and not my entire service area (unless I wanted to SUBSTANTIALLY increase my budget). Now I don't know much about optimization, which is why I need to outsource it and have this question here, but with the little I do know, isn't a lot of it just based on adding my service locations to my keywords in my pages?

I know SEO is not just a "set it and forget it" type of deal, but how much time is really needed monthly for good SEO. And furthermore, how much MORE time is needed to optimize my website for several surrounding areas as opposed to just one?

In other words is this "account manager" package for only 1-2 towns really worth it for the price?

Give your best time if possible because SEO needs good research if you do good keyword research, content, link building you will have good ranks.

IF you have written unique content of value, have it marked up semantically, and are promoting the content through social media and other interested websites... you shouldn't be needing to be spending any more 'time' on SEO than normal site-building. It should be a natural and organic part of building and maintaining the site.

That they are "selling you" on it being worth a separate service worth hundreds of dollars a month means to me that like most "marketing agencies" they are blowing smoke up your backside and trying to scam you out of every last penny. They are likely using SEO scam artist trickery to make wild fictional claims about what they deliver, and in general have put the saddle on your back in preparation of taking you for a ride.

JUST from what you have said, I'd be very interested to see one of your sites as to be brutally frank it sounds like you've been duped by SEO scammers, marketing BS, and outright lies to try and dupe you out of large sums of money for sites built by people who likely have no blasted business making websites in the first place.

Trust your instincts, those reservations you are voicing are likely indicative of deeper rooted issues.

MIND YOU, that's a wild unfounded guess, but an educated one based on what you've said so far.

It actually varies from person to person.Some may require 5 hours a day based upon the tasks needed to be done .It mainly depends upon the task.For quality link building it would take around 4-5 hrs per day.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    IF you have written unique content of value, have it marked up semantically, and are promoting the content through social media and other interested websites... you shouldn't be needing to be spending any more 'time' on SEO than normal site-building. It should be a natural and organic part of building and maintaining the site.
    Thanks for the input... Well to clear up anything and give my background, I am NOT a developer nor am I familiar with any type of SEO. I did create my site myself, but it is very unprofessional and in all honesty am looking for someone to totally redesign it in the near future. I am also looking to outsource my SEO and general maintenance of the site anyway. I have no problem paying someone to do this but wondering if this particular package would be worth it.

I understand they are probably overcharging for this service and I would have to get back to you on how many actual hours is included in that rate, but back to my main concern. does it really seem right that they would only optimize for one location, and charge more for others.

It actually varies from person to person.Some may require 5 hours a day based upon the tasks needed to be done .It mainly depends upon the task.For quality link building it would take around 4-5 hrs per day.
    Ok I can understand the 4-5 hours/day task, but that's not an everyday task though is it, but just an initial task that would only require a few more hours a month to keep on top of it correct? Now that 4-5 hours a day, does should that include all locations we service or just one particular town? To repeat myself, does it really take that much longer to optimize several locations as opposed to one?

White hat seo is something which gives you results after sometime. So, you keep on boosting your site,no one can tell you exact time for good seo.

Ya i agree with George.We cant tell you exact time for SEO.If you want to boost you site then need to spend as much time you can for seo.

SEO, some say it benefits, like others I say it is a service of a bygone era in computing, 20 years ago SEO would have been very important to get as far and wide as possible, these days you have lots of review and tech sites that have bloggers, journalists that have departments and systems that capture all sorts of data and it is presented to people and gives a product review based on your content.

So, get your content, images, write ups and any video you have on places like YouTube, Vimeo, Bambuser, et all.

In this day and age, SEO is not as important as people make out, search engines are far more sophisticated than 20 years or even 10 years ago, before, search engines were very stubborn and clumsy, these days they are crunching data to fill their databases with something new to feed the data hungry mobs in the internet world.

Social media like Facebook, VK, YouTube, Vimeo, et al
    is a good starting point, using twitter as a way of tweeting your content, although twitter still todate have not sorted out their trolls and a system to stop trolls from bashing account holders in to the ground and using twitters ****eyed way of dealing with spam complaints, having been at the blunt end of twitter, even if you are in the right, they force you to agree to further terms so as to access their service. So you may want to consider the type of tweets you send out.

So to recap, SEO died out with the dinosaurs, its had its time, its been superseded by much more dynamic search engine code that does most of the SEO for you so that when someone searches for widgets and you're a widget shop selling widgets, you appear in the search results, ranked by how much effort you have put in to your site content.
    STOP using $ prefix on JavaScript variable names...
    Please remember to wrap any code you have in forum tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

It's really depends on you that how much time you'll spent per day to learn SEO well. Though I can remember my past experience if you follow myself then 2-3 hours per day is enough.

My promotion organization has been throwing a new "package" to me where one of the solutions would consist of having an "account manager" that will cope with all my SEO both on-site and off-site.

Hi, You can not estimate the time required for doing seo because its depend of N no of factor. First your domain age, structure of your sites, authority.

My experience you can try do new activity's and start working at least two to three hour and SMO.

Thread Information