dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Making a living from web development?!

Making a living from web development?!

I am a self-educating (process is not finished yet ) programmer, I'm quite good already and I just want to what its how am I going to make a living making websites? I see some guys offering 300$ a site, that's like how many hours per website? I will try to get my clientele from Canada where my place of residence is even though I love to travel and spend only 2-3 months in Canada so what are mu chances (count in the factor that I have amazing strong will and that I will be an awesome web developer and programmer one day!) Another question be what online certification acceptable (other than w3schools) and highly ranked because I already have a bachelor's degree in economics and don't want to go to school again...

If you want to be a one-person web shop doing everything yourself, you'll probably have to keep pretty busy, since you have to handle all the business related stuff, not just the technical stuff -- all while competing with do-it-yourself sites and off-shore competitors willing to work for what wouldn't even be minimum wage here in the US or Canada. That being said, degrees and certifications are far less important than your portfolio, your networking (in terms of people) and your sales skills (back to that wearing many different hats thing).

As far as what a site would cost, that all depends on what is needed, and whether or not you can fit it into a CMS you know/like to use (even your own), or if you have to do lots of custom programming -- and what you think the competition will charge.

All that is why I now work for a dot.com rather than lone-wolfing it. (And my degree is in music education.)
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Isnt it better to get hired by a certain company?

you dont need any degree or diploma for a web developer.if you have a good skills then try to gain a more knowledge through w3schools.

I agree with NogDog, Another important thing to note is social proof - Make sure when you have completed a good web build that you ask for a testimonial to add to your profile. Word of mouth goes a long way especially if you are targeting a specific industry or niche.

Skills are everything. Being web developer is the question of skills, not diploma. Off course, if you have diploma and different certificates it can enlarge the possibility of getting a job, earn money, and live from developing. Now, if you want to work and earn money as a freelancer then you should be extra good in what you are doing. Otherwise, working in some agencies could be an option.

Thread Information