dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: New to Web Development, Degree?

New to Web Development, Degree?

I am not sure if this is the correct area to post this, so sorry if it is not.
    I graduated from college with a degree in a non-computer science background, but have recently decided to pursue web development/design and have been accepted into a local university in a major metropolitan area. I was hoping to hear from people on this board, is it worth it to go back to school for computer science, or is it possible to obtain a job in this field without a computer science degree? Not sure if I can use online tools such as Treehouse/CodeAcademy in conjunction with taking classes at a local community college to pursue this career. I don't have a strong background in web development, but do have experience in graphic design.
    Any thoughts or feedback would be great,
    Thank you.

My only degree is a bachelor of fine arts in music education, so I guess it's not required. (I work mainly as a server-side web developer for a dot.com that has been one of Fortune's fastest growing companies for the past 2-3 years, and probably less than half of our developers actually have any sort of computer-related degree). I'm not saying that some concentrated study and even a relevant degree would not help -- just that it's not strictly necessary if you have the desired skills and attitude, though having a degree can help get past the HR screening when applying for your first job.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thank you NogDog. The feedback really helps. Will I still be competitive in the current environment if I am able to create a strong portfolio? I have read many stories about web development positions being outsourced.
    Thank you.

It probably depends on what you specifically want to do. If we're talking about fairly "standard" web sites where the client simply wants a web presence and perhaps an on-line store for a few products, then yes, you're probably competing with a lot of companies that provide such services, including those that use a lot of off-shore out-sourcing. Probably the more fruitful opportunities are in companies doing something new/different on the web that need a lot of custom development. They'll have a team of in-house developers creating new application code, others just gathering and manipulating data, and so forth -- in other words, not just another WordPress site.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information