www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Treehouse, Lynda.com or Tutsplus Premium?

Treehouse, Lynda.com or Tutsplus Premium?

Hi!

I want to learn how to program.

There are plenty of sites that offers e-courses on the web. The main ones are lynda.com, tutsplus and
    team treehouse.

In your opinion, which one of those is the best option?

I've used Lynda.com and love it.
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

With a basic understanding on HTML, CSS, can i learn PHP from scratch in 2 months using lynda?

I didn't go through their PHP course. They have some samples you can watch to get an idea though.

I went through their Drupal and Facebook development courses.
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

Interesting. How was the learning courve?

HTML and CSS don't teach you anything about programming (just how to mark up text for use/display in a web browser). PHP is a full-blown programming language, so you need to learn the ins and outs of programming in general -- not just syntax -- before you can do much useful with it. If you have no prior programming experience (HTML and CSS do not count as programming experience, though JavaScript would), then 2 months may be overly optimistic. Oh, I suppose you may be able to do many useful things with it by then, depending on effort and aptitude, but you'll probably only be a good couple steps into the journey of becoming an accomplished software developer. Don't get me wrong: it's worth the effort, but it's also a never-ending journey.

PS: And don't forget you'll also need to get a decent understanding of relational databases and SQL if you're going to do much of anything with that PHP knowledge.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Yes, it is a never ending journey and it takes time to learn and patience. I have been going to college since 2009, have a degree and I am still learning. I have taken courses from lynda.com and I love the site. Even after all of that I am still not comfortable with writing my own code. I can look at someones code at know what it is doing but I am not at the point where I can write and think in the language yet. This is where I would love to be, to be able to think in the language of my choice, which is Java and PHP. This is why I have joined this site to try and learn and find people in the same field.

I would use Train Simple to learn web design it's only $9.99 and the quality is just as good.

wow This is a really nice threats.

I just purchased a month of tutsplus and so far I love it.

Thread Information