www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: New to making websites! I need help

New to making websites! I need help

I went to hostgator.com and bought a package and paid a fee for a total price of 1 year for a new website. (Roughly 80 dollars) 'webdomainhere.com'
    Then when I logged into control panel, it said You have the option of registering this domain. Im like 'what? didn't I already type in the name of the domain when I bought the package?' It offered to register it for about 10 dollars. Whats the difference and do I need this?
    Im really confused with the terms so I dont know if Im using it right. I think I paid for a hosting package for a new domain and now it's giving me the option to pay to register that domain. Do I need to do this?

There are three things you need to do to get a web site on the net:
    1. Register a domain name
    2. Have a place to host a web site
    3. Have the web site code placed on the host

It sounds like you've done step 2.

Dave

Absolutely, you need to have a domain name so that you can use your hosting package. It has come to my attention that, during the registration process you typed in the domain name and choose the "I already own this domain name" option which assumes that you have this domain name @ another registrar. Like @Traknut said "It sounds like you've done step 2" while skipping step 1. For your information, a hosting package without a domain name = null

Quote Originally Posted by watex View Post
    I went to hostgator.com and bought a package and paid a fee for a total price of 1 year for a new website. (Roughly 80 dollars) 'webdomainhere.com'
    Then when I logged into control panel, it said You have the option of registering this domain. Im like 'what? didn't I already type in the name of the domain when I bought the package?' It offered to register it for about 10 dollars. Whats the difference and do I need this?
    Im really confused with the terms so I dont know if Im using it right. I think I paid for a hosting package for a new domain and now it's giving me the option to pay to register that domain. Do I need to do this?

OK I went to register now and it seems the domain name is already registered! Theres no way someone else took it in that time so I feel like the registration may have already come with the package and I didnt realize it?
    I got the cheapest package from hostgator. Can anyone verify?

We don't know what you bought, I'd just contact HostGator and ask them....

Dave

Probably a bug of some kind! Just contact HostGator, they're really helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by watex View Post
    It may be that you paid $80 for hosting only and now you have to pay $10 for domain name I think.

Make sure what product, service or brand you wanted to promote, be very specific about it, if its about health-fitness-muscles build up.

read again and check what you bought for $80

Thread Information