www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Ok... ii know html, css and PHP. Now what?

Ok... ii know html, css and PHP. Now what?

So, i'm developing myself the website of my start up business. I'm done with HTML, CSS and PHP essentials. Now i dont have a clear vision where i should aim my focus on.

The website itself will have a pretty simple backend, since my product is video based - a 12 week video course. Not even close to the complexity of a app. Check out what i need to build:

1) A free/public area with static pages, like the home page, contact page, about us page etc.

2) A area for a 1 week free trial of the product, with the respective videos of the first week of the course

3) A payment page,where people of course will go to pay for acess to the whole video course.

4) A premium area where the members who paid for the course can log in anytime and have the whole video course available for them. The acess to this area needs to be for only 97 days (3 months and 7 days)

5) A second payment page, now for our subscription service that will be offered after the main course.

We'll offer periodic videos for a low fixed monthly price, in a different area of the web site + complete acess for the main video course already attended by the user for unlimited time, as long as the member pays the low monthly fee.

So i need to build this area where the periodic videos will be placed.

6) I need to build and know how to manage a data base with user log in information, etc

7) I need to build all this with a simple, clean, nice design

So... with those specific needs, what should i learn next to get them done?

Thanks in advance!

Javascript.
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

Database skills (DB design/normalization and SQL)
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Why JavaScript?

Since i'll have to deal with server side scripting, A PHP framework wouldn't be a wise choice?

A yeah..i know that MySQL is a MUST! : )

Javascript is a must for any web application. You mentioned payment and registration ... so you could definitely use some field validation here.
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by cbVision View Post
    Javascript is a must for any web application. You mentioned payment and registration ... so you could definitely use some field validation here.
    As long as you remember that client-side validation is a user convenience (which is a good thing!), as you still have to do server-side validation (for the malicious user who is posting direct to your site via cURL, for example, or the odd-ball user who has JS disabled).
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

eBookworm.us

Thanks for the feedback guys!

The thing is that we'll use a third party payment system, integrated to a affiliate program. So, it's just a API, mostly copy and paste code you know.

I dont know why, but i'm really considering Ruby on Rails... and since the backend of my MVP's website will be pretty simple, any language could offer me what i need... am i right? :s

One thing I might consider before definitely deciding on your application language is whether or not the 3rd party software vendor provides any application code libraries for specific languages, then limit your choice to what languages they provide support for. It's by no means mandatory that you use their library (as long as the API is sufficiently documented, you can write your own interfacing code), but it can save you time, depending on the size and complexity of their API.

eBookworm.us

You're totally right. I'll check asap if their API supports ruby.

Thank you very much for the tip : )

Thread Information