www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: What to learn before Rails?

What to learn before Rails?

Hey all,

I'm keen to learn Ruby on Rails as a framework to build an online platform I have in mind, but I'm struggling to grasp a lot of the content in most of the recommended 'beginners' guides (the Hartl book etc).

I've only been learning web development for a short while, but have got a pretty solid grasp on HTML/CSS/JavaScript. However, I get the impression that along with Ruby (which I'm finding pretty comfortable to learn), I should have a decent knowledge of a lot of back-end concepts before I can really understand rails.

Having never worked with PHP, MVC, or even databases, there's a lot of things in Rails that I don't even understand the name of, let alone how they work.

With that in mind, what would be a good stepping-stone between where I'm at (basically front end/design stuff) to comfortable tackling the Rails stuff?

Thanks

I would definitely recommend spending some time just on relational database design and normalization -- you don't need to be an expert, but at least know enough to have a decent grasp on how to use joins on multiple tables in your queries (along with why you are using multiple tables ).

You might also find some general info on object-oriented programming useful, e.g. http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutori...pts/index.html (this uses Java, so don't worry too much about code syntax, but the ideas and concepts pertain to pretty much any object-oriented language).
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information