www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Is this possible?

Is this possible?

Hello all,

I am the web manager of an author's personal website. My knowledge is limited to HMTL and CSS, though I have a little knowledge of how php works.

My client has a wordpress blog on his site (which uses php), and a blog on PsychologyToday.com. He would like his website blog to update automatically when he publishes a new article on PsychologyToday.

Is this possible since obviously we cannot interfere with PsychologyToday.com? It's fine if we have to dump his wordpress blog and start anew, since before I came on the scene he rarely used it. Also, if this is possible, how much work would it take for a competent person?

Thank you very much for your time.

The short process would be that when you insert the data into the database for the first blog, you would also need to insert the data into the alternate database at the same time.

Complications could arise from access rights, to the difference in data-types of fields.

Complicated? Not really? As long as you know HOW each DB is saving the data, it shouldn't take too long to figure out how to massage the one set to match the other.

Being that the "alternate" database is a WP blog, it should be fairly simple.

If you don't have access to the external blog, maybe you could see if the external blog has a RSS feed, and if so, access that to post a list of latest articles with links to that external site?
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

You can also use cURL what would solve the problem with data base access.
    It shouldn't be very complicated I think - Depends of the structure of the source page.

hi,
    Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information, It is extremely helpful for me.
    Regards,
    Shawn

Thread Information