www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Can't preview mixed php/html files in Komodo

Can't preview mixed php/html files in Komodo

I feel like an idiot because I can't figure this out. For years now I have been coding my html/php right on the server. I finally downloaded komodo and absolutely love the html editor.

However, most of my pages have a .php extension (usually so I can use an include to include the header/footer, etc.). If I choose a php file in Komodo it won't preview the file and if I try to view the file in Chrome it just outputs as html text.

I am assuming I have to install php or something. I am using a Mac with Mountain Lion. I've tried following the instructions to install php or to change my path to my php.ini and I am totally lost.

Can anyone help?

A browser doesn't know what to do with php because it is not processed in the browser, only on the server. Set up a local host and then try it.

Thank you. That's exactly the part I don't understand though. How do I set up a local host? Thanks.

install these packages:
    php
    php-mysql
    phpmyadmin

I believe that should be enough to get you started.. for server wise.. or here is a link that should be pretty much the same for all platforms:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP

DO NOT depend on the LAMP server, stick to having each package always up to date and under the same manager.

Thread Information