www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need serious advice

Need serious advice

OK, I really need some serious advice with my site but to understand my problem here is a long drawn out explanation: In 2003 I left the UK for Indonesia where I met and married my wife. All her friends asked her where she could meet a nice husband like me and all my visitors asked me where they could find a nice wife like I have. Sounded like a good idea for a business so I recently put an introduction site together. It is run by my wife and I so I wanted it to look personal rather than professional. We have arranged a few happy marriages but the site doesn't seem to have the reach that I expected. I need to know if it is appealing and if not what to do about it. I am not an expert but I wrote the code myself. It has been submitted to the search engines: my wife has a Facebook page: I write articles with linkbacks and post Facebook clips with linkbacks. Still it is not performing that well. I know the market is there but I don't appear to be reaching it. Need a few friends to assist me. Please take a look and let me have your thoughts. http://www.indowife.info

it is functional and informative but it is not visually appealing. also it is common practice to put the home link at the top of the page. some of the photos are out of focus.
    to be more specific about the visual aspect, 1. using all serif fonts is hard on the eyes 2. use an online color scheme tool 3. read about font proportions to get a better look than using random font sizes 4. the lines of text are just a little too long for good readablity - shoot for less than 62 characters 5. i know it isn't a law or anything, but centered text is hard to make attractive 6. decrease the font size of everything but the most important message so that it will stand out - try using H1, H2, H3, and <p> (it's called using a hierarchy) 7. the text boxes on the "guarantee" and "information" pages need more space between the edges and the text (use margin and padding to fix) 8. when trying all the links sometimes an error shows up 9. google "web templates" to get ideas. cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by peter lewis View Post
    it is functional and informative but it is not visually appealing. also it is common practice to put the home link at the top of the page. some of the photos are out of focus.
    to be more specific about the visual aspect, 1. using all serif fonts is hard on the eyes 2. use an online color scheme tool 3. read about font proportions to get a better look than using random font sizes 4. the lines of text are just a little too long for good readablity - shoot for less than 62 characters 5. i know it isn't a law or anything, but centered text is hard to make attractive 6. decrease the font size of everything but the most important message so that it will stand out - try using H1, H2, H3, and <p> (it's called using a hierarchy) 7. the text boxes on the "guarantee" and "information" pages need more space between the edges and the text (use margin and padding to fix) 8. when trying all the links sometimes an error shows up 9. google "web templates" to get ideas. cheers!
    Thanks. I'll start making changes

Thread Information