www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Territory restrictions

Territory restrictions

Hi Im new to this forum and wondered if anyone could help me??

I own a Job site and want to allow employers who post jobs on to my website to be able to chose where they want the job post to be visible (by country) i.e. If they only want their job listing to be visible in the US for instance, then only job seekers who are registered at my website from the US will be able to see the post. or pick multiple countries.

Is this possible and would it be easy to impliment??

Ant help would be greatfull :-)

Thank you
    Shane

Well I'm a bit disappointed to say the least with the response I got off my question :-(((( I guess this is a difficult thing to do for a developer!!

The answer to your question is, of course it's possible. There are several different ways to do this, but the most effective will require server-based software. Generally, sites like yours are database-driven, so the site can easily match up user locations with any restrictions that might be attached to the individual job postings. You mention that the job seekers "register" at your website, which would indicate that there's some software and database involved with your site now, so the path should be clear enough even if the precise details are not. It all depends on your current implementation in as far as how the job postings are generated or displayed on your website.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Thank you for your reply Rick :-)

The site is ran by a mysql database, when employers post a job and ad the location, it is powered by Google API, so each field in the form ads geo data and a location is generated from that, then added to the database. It is a worldwide job site but some employers get inundated with applications to there job posts from places that are nowhere near the job vacancy, so I think territory restrictions will solve this. I need a drop down field (caption: where do you want this job to be visible?) when posting a job. Do you think this is do-able with my system?

Kind regards
    Shane

It's certainly do-able, but I can't give you any specifics without knowing more details about the software that your site uses. And it's really not practical to try to get a complete solution in an online forum since the job likely involves several different files and lots of other information. If you're not a programmer, you might check out one of the freelance programming sites. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

thank you for your help :-)

Only thing to watch out for when you're doing this kind of thing is keeping your countries list synced with your user table. If you're working globally, countries change all the time, and it's something that can trip you out if you're not expecting it.

Thread Information