dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: A couple questions from intermediate skill-level developer

A couple questions from intermediate skill-level developer

Greetings all,

My day job is as an archivist, and in library school I took all the web/database courses offered... As its been a couple years without using these skills, I'm having a bit of difficulty blowing the dust off setting up sites, and was hoping for some advice from users of this forum.

Having chose a field I really enjoy (which pays the same as janitors in the library system I work for) I've arranged a barter where I'll be doing a couple simple websites in exchange for work on my house.

I currently have a hosting account through fatcow tied to a domain that is myname.net, and am wondering how easy it to just have my barter customer pay for his business URL, and then host his site via my personal account.

I believe this is call subdomain hosting? (I can do the design stuff allright, its the backend arrangement I've had little experience with and totally forget what I did learn).

That said, in this site I would be setting up my customer with a shopsite interface, and would like to know what anyone out there thinks about:

1) setting up a shopsite account where customer has full admin over what he uploads and sells (he wheels and deals collectible coins mostly). Curious if its possible to allow him admin access to the eCommerce stuff, but not my hosting account.

2) would it make better since to have him buy his own domain/hosting account that I build for him, for not only legal purposes and shopsite admin purposes?

3) now that the legality purposes come to mind as I ask these questions, is there a contract out there that would cover me should he do anything illegal with his site and it were under my personal hosting account?

4) any other input/advice on this is more than welcome!

I realize this is some 101 stuff, I've basically only built a personal site and some smaller business sites for friends; I appreciate any and all input!

JB

I believe this is call subdomain hosting?
    I think you might mean virtual hosting. (For subdomain hosting, he wouldn't have to pay for a domain (unless you charged him), but the domain would be something.myname.net, where myname.net is your domain.) With virtual hosting, it doesn't matter what the domain is, as long as looking it up in DNS results in the IP address of your server. Your web server software (hopefully Apache) then uses the domain specified in the request to decide which directory tree to look in for the content. (For example, content for myname.net might be in /var/www and content for hisname.org might instead be in /var/hisname or someplace like that.)

I don't know anything specifically about fatcow or shopsite, and unless you say otherwise I'm going to assume you already know about the basic issues surrounding https and certificates for ecommerce.

Whether he needs a separate hosting account from you depends on the hosting provider. Check their Acceptable Use Policy, or whatever they call it.

I refuse to comment on contract law at all, except to say that even lawyers don't always understand it all.

Thread Information