dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Responsive site issues

Hybrid View

Responsive site issues

Hi y'all.

So I have this site that I'm working on, it's a responsive template which I downloaded. The responsiveness works well and I had no issues up until i added a Javascript / jQuery carousel in the "team" section. The whole site is still responsive except that carousel. Anyone could shed some knowledge my way on what i need to do in order to make the carousel responsive as well?

Look under the "team" section. It displays 4 names at-a-time with a right then a left button.
    http://www.marcusgroup.com/2013/index.html

Thank you so much in advance for any feedback you guys can throw at me.

Serge

If you wish to build a responsive site using pre-written templates and the like, I would suggest that you only use code that was written to be responsive. Amending other people's code to do things it was never intended to can be harder than writing your own code from scratch!

Well, I purchase the main template, but added the carousel section myself. Yes, I did find it online, but I was hoping that it would play nice once placed within the responsive code. I'm totally naive when it comes to making a site responsive, so I was hoping someone would just tell me what exactly I need to modify in order to get me headed in the right direction.

Anyway, I've had a look at the code and it seems to me that the problem is in the CSS file team/slider.css:

#slider2 .viewport {
    float: left;
    width: 1048px;
    height: 388px;
    overflow: hidden;
    position: relative;
    }

If you change "width: 1048px;" to something like "width: 80%;" that might just make the viewport responsive. I haven't tested it, but that might just do the trick!

Why do you think that code needs to be written differently to be responsive in the first place? Because conventional code is NOT responsive. So no, it won't magically become responsive just because it is incorporated in an otherwise responsive web page. Also there are a number of ways of writing code to be responsive. You can even write responsive code using position:absolute!
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 05-24-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Dude, If you want to help great, if you don't, move along. I don't need your condescending / sarcastic comments. I simply asked for help, or to be pointed in the right direction, if you can't, DON'T COMMENT! have a swell day.

Thanks for your help. I will update the result a lil later.

Sorry for the condescension. I hope it works!

That helped a lot. I also switched the height to % instead of fixed pxs. Not sure if that's common-practice in responsive coding (making the height %), but it helped as well. But now, the text in the individual boxes is getting hidden. I will look into the that issue now. Thanks again.

I'm glad that helped.

Use percentages for WIDTH:90%; and pixels for min-width:25px; and max-width: 500px;

To maintain aspect-ratio of images, make HEIGHT:auto;

Not sure if height will automatically adjust if omitted, but I have good result using height;AUTO;

Thread Information