dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to call perl hello.pl from hello.html file?

Hybrid View

How to call perl hello.pl from hello.html file?

Hi,

I have a hello.pl scripts and I want this script to be called from hello.html page when ever it gets invoked.

I feel this can be done using some CGI Script, but I dont know exactly what needs to be done, If somebody throw some lights on it it will be great.

My requirement: (Unix Server)

Simple HTML Page : hello.html (Contains variable {Total})
    Simple Perl Script : hello.pl (Updates hello.html page {Total} variable = some number say 10.)

When ever i ran hello.pl script manually it is updating fine, I want this to be automated whenever hello.html is invoked.

If you have any other way also, please let me know.

Thanks

If the parent document is pure HTML, then you have two basic options: (1) if you're on a server that uses Apache server software, you can use Server Side Includes, (2) you can use an <iframe>. There are some technical details you'd need to address to use Server Side Includes, but they're pretty simple. Otherwise, I'd say the best choice depends on whether the CGI script generates a complete HTML document or not. If it does, then the <iframe> would be the simplest method. Good luck!

wow.. it worked. I used apache include tags. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by sakthi.99it View Post
    Hi,

I have a hello.pl scripts and I want this script to be called from hello.html page when ever it gets invoked.

I feel this can be done using some CGI Script, but I dont know exactly what needs to be done, If somebody throw some lights on it it will be great.

My requirement: (Unix Server)

Simple HTML Page : hello.html (Contains variable {Total})
    Simple Perl Script : hello.pl (Updates hello.html page {Total} variable = some number say 10.)

When ever i ran hello.pl script manually it is updating fine, I want this to be automated whenever hello.html is invoked.

If you have any other way also, please let me know.

Thanks
    Ya this thread solved my problem.. I was looking to call another script from some other page and used iframe. Thanks a lot for the information it really helped

Thread Information