www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: What is z-index and where it's work?

Exclamation What is z-index and where it's work?

I'm mamun from Bangladesh.

I'm new of web development and i really want to know what is z-index also which of part it can be used? http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/im...s/confused.gif
    Can anyone please help me. Actually i'm not able to do that.

Tnx and Regards,
    Mamun

Search on "css z-index tutorial" and I'm sure you'll find your answer. You can't learn everything in a forum.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

z-index is a CSS property that sets the stack order of specific elements. An element with greater stack order is always in front of another element with lower stack order.

p {
    position: relative;
    z-index: -1;
    }

Negative stack orders can also be used in the same manner. A negative value will appear behind a more positive one. z-index only works on elements that have a position value (e.g. position: relative.

SOURCE

Every webpage is made up of what are called stacking contexts. You can think of these as, quite literally, a stack of elements. The z-index property determines the order of items in each stack, with higher z-index being placed further up.

All pages begin with a root stacking context, which builds from the root element (as you'd expect). But more stacking contexts can be created in a number of ways. One way is an absolutely positioned div; its children will be in a new stacking context.

The specs lists all of the instances that create a new stacking context. As others have stated, this includes explicitly positioned elements and will soon include elements that aren't completely opaque.

z-index only takes effect if you explicitly set the position of the element. This means setting it to be fixed, absolute, or relative.

Thank you so much for your solution.

Really tnx all of you people

Thread Information