www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: I have big dreams but not a lot of time or experience

I have big dreams but not a lot of time or experience

Hi,
    I bought a domain with hostgator for a 1 year package. I installed a bunch of stuff like joomla, a bunch of forums and stuff, but I dont know how to use them. I have graduated college soon with a degree in something completely off from computer science. I realized I might want to shift to this but it may be too late. My only hope is maybe get a job and do this on my freetime. I thought this would be nothing but fun but it turned out to be a lot of grueling work too. Ive worked through it. Ive almost completed one course on Web fundamentals on codeacademy.com I am not a complete dummy with coding... ( I took a few classes back in high school)
    What can I do?
    I have big dreams: I want to make a revolutionary social networking site with new features that will overtake facebook, I want to make a gaming blog, with a running vibrant forums, I want to create databases and guides for this gaming forum, a social network, I want to know how to make websites with messaging systems, and how to get server data like rankings from games and post on my website.

Ive done a little bit of research and Ive gotten 2 general types of advice:
    1. No way, it'll take you a long time with lots of hard work just to learn it. It's not an easy hill. You won't get the knowledge on how to unless you're a genius. I know it's tough news but its true

2. 90% of these people are jealous because they failed themselves. The 10% that says you can do it are the only ones who can do it.

Not sure what to do. Im looking for where to go for tutorials online, and what I need to know. No clue right now

I would hook up with those folks in category 2 that have gone from knowing nothing to building something that overtook facebook. Seriously, if you've found people in that category, they are the folks to stay connected to. Meanwhile, I would start developing something with a much smaller scope so you can actually work on your development skills. If you're not coding in every free moment of your spare time, this dream isn't for you.

Dave

Thread Information