dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Domain name or not... big problem

Domain name or not... big problem

Hello,

I have a problem that is now big for me, but for some of you maybe it will be funny... I hope so, then I quess you could help me go trough it.

I was coding a website for one subject in University, for my friend. So, university have their domain.name. I coded a website and I have html and css done, and now I have no idea what to do...
    In the browser it should look like this www.universitydomainname.com/~mysite

Please help me. What should I do, download a server? They told my friend that they need some http or something.. maybe he didn't understand quite well... I hope that someone can write me a little about what can I do... thank you so much!

Hi and welcome to the site.

What is your problem??? To put a web site on the internet you need hosting. You can download all the hosting software and set up your own host, but there are a number of excellent reasons for using a commercial hosting service instead. Either way you will need to purchase or obtain a domain name. Note: Some web hosts may include "free" domain names in their hosting packages, but they are not necessarily cheaper, or better.

Thank you for your answer... but I think you didn't understand me. Or maybe I didn't explain right. They told me that I don't need a domain name, beacuse my website will be on their domain name. So they have a page and on one of the pages will be a link, somethink like "You can can see their website here!". Then I thought that I could just give them my html and css, but I need a server or something so I can upload on my website later... Please don't get anxious or angry at me, I am new with this stuff, so I'm looking for any kind of help I can get.. thank you again on you time.

You need a program, like a ftp one, to upload your web pages to your site.

My college had the same thing. They give you web space on their domain. You just need the FTP details from the university.
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

Sorry, I misunderstood. As cbVison has said, you need the FTP details of the Uni site to load your web pages on their server. You then need an FTP client to do the upload. because raw FTP is antiquated and quite user hostile. E.g. You have to manually switch between text and binary mode, and so can only load one or other type of file at a time. Because of this it can be preferable to segregate the text files (e.g. HTML. CSS, Javascript and PHP files) from the binary ones ( e.g. the various graphic file formats).

Whereas if you use an FTP client you generally get a nice graphical interface, and the complexities of different file types are hidden from you. Note: Although I use an FTP client (that is built in to the hosting interface) I still segregate the file types into different folders. It means that if there are problems with the graphical interface, I can use raw FTP if I have to.

Thank you so much for your help, you're so kind...!

Quote Originally Posted by vetenthusiast95 View Post
    Hello,

I have a problem that is now big for me, but for some of you maybe it will be funny... I hope so, then I quess you could help me go trough it.

I was coding a website for one subject in University, for my friend. So, university have their domain.name. I coded a website and I have html and css done, and now I have no idea what to do...
    In the browser it should look like this www.universitydomainname.com/~mysite

Please help me. What should I do, download a server? They told my friend that they need some http or something.. maybe he didn't understand quite well... I hope that someone can write me a little about what can I do... thank you so much!
    Hey

If I understand you correctly that university has it's domain.name already, then your URL above means that you'll have your own directory '~mysite' at the root directory of site.
    So you just need to ask your friend for FTP account and upload your files to his server, I believe. You can use a WinSCP for that.
    After that you'll can check for your work availability, bat you need to double check with '~mysite' part of course.

If you need to understand more about website hosting and how things works you can take a look for this article.

Guys,

Where can I get reliable web hosting service for my new website. I am looking for a reliable web hosting site which I can rely on. Do you have any familiar web hosting site?

Thank you!

Upload the site using a ftp client like FIlezilla. Download and install filezilla. Ask for your friend if he has a ftp login details and use it to login. I guess your friend is using a subdomain for www.universitydomainname.com then upload the site to a specific subdirectory at universitydomainname.com.

Thread Information