dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: What's the Process?

What's the Process?

I am searching Upwork for a web developer to create a website for me. I am curious what the process is typically like for someone who hires a web developer to get the content onto their domain.

I currently have a domain. It is hosted by GoDaddy. How do you go about getting the website onto the domain? Meaning, is it customary to give the developer access to your account some way(non-administrative) or do developers typically create the website locally and provide the files which you would upload yourself?

Thank you for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy407 View Post
    I currently have a domain. It is hosted by GoDaddy.
    Check your terminology... You have a domain, it is "registered" with GoDaddy. It may also be "hosted" at GoDaddy, if you pay them hosting fees and have the nameservers pointed to GoDaddy's hosting. That may all be the case, I don't know. You may also not have any hosting at all at this point (after all, why have hosting when you don't have a web site yet), and therefore you will at some point need to purchase hosting with some vendor and adjust the nameservers accordingly.

When I was freelancing, the typical customer would give me the account and password to their registrar so that I could do all the setup. Most didn't know how to do this themselves. I just suggested they change the password when it was all set up.

Quote Originally Posted by tracknut View Post
    Check your terminology... You have a domain, it is "registered" with GoDaddy. It may also be "hosted" at GoDaddy, if you pay them hosting fees and have the nameservers pointed to GoDaddy's hosting. That may all be the case, I don't know. You may also not have any hosting at all at this point (after all, why have hosting when you don't have a web site yet), and therefore you will at some point need to purchase hosting with some vendor and adjust the nameservers accordingly.

When I was freelancing, the typical customer would give me the account and password to their registrar so that I could do all the setup. Most didn't know how to do this themselves. I just suggested they change the password when it was all set up.
    Thanks for the help, tracknut. You are correct, I have my domain registered with GoDaddy but it will ultimately be hosted elsewhere.

I am concerned with providing my username and password to someone else. Isn't it possible for them to hijack domains this way?

Thanks for your help!

There are three steps on the hosting, and they require three different accounts:
    1) Getting the domain set up to point at the host, which is done with your account/password with the registrar and is the one you could hijack a domain with
    2) Ongoing FTP of the various web site files to the host, which is done with an FTP account on the hosting site. This is an account you can make up yourself on the hosting server, and give specifically to the developer. He can destroy your site with this account, but can't steal a domain name
    3) There is a third account, your cpanel account on the hosting server. That account will be used to create databases and generally configure things on the hosting server.

You could certainly manage step #1 yourself if you know how or can get GoDaddy's tech support to help with. Account #2 you need to create and give to the developer. As to whether the developer needs account #3, that depends on the complexity of the web site.

Thread Information