www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Rich Snippets Abuse

Rich Snippets Abuse

Recently I have been reading few articles about Google penalizing sites that abuse rich snippets.
    Now most of the times they are talking about untruthful or misleading markup or content (as an example fake ratings and reviews).

But I also encountered some that mention that the large number of rich snippets can have a bad effect.
    My question is does anyone know if this is true and if it is what would that number be?

PS: My classic markups consist of Breadcrumb, BlogPosting, Person and Review-aggregate, and I never had an issue with Google because of their usage.
    Also it's hard for me to imagine a site that would use more then 4-5 snippets...

Well if anyone is interested according to Matt Cutts these updates were made because of the spam rich snippets. In short he warns that low quality sites could lose the ability of having rich snippets at all.
    Also it seems that they are removing the snippets from the SERP for some sites by manually investigating it. My thought is that they are doing this to research about the ways people abuse snippets so that they can create an automatic blocking.

All in all my conclusion is that the amount of snippets does not have any effect, it is just important not to do any sneaky tricks with your snippets (show false information).

Thread Information