www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: how woud you creat this? - dreamweaver, php, mysql?

how woud you creat this? - dreamweaver, php, mysql?

Hi All,

Background info about me- I'm primarily a designer with a little Dreamweaver and HTML knowledge. I'm pretty handy with computers/tech issues but, I have no hardcore programming skills.

I'm starting a side hobby website www.littlelotusparty.com My hope is that I can get enough traffic to warrant ads for a small side income. Currently everything is made and updated through dreamweaver, but as the site is growing fast, this is going to be very bulky to manage. My question is for pages like this http://www.littlelotusparty.com/menu.html

What's the best way to go about this? Create a html template for the top and left side menu, and then can I embed a php script in the middle area so that I can easily update the images? Is it possible to have a form created so that I can easily enter the info I want, and the image, and then upload so the latest one is listed at the top? Is it possible to create multiple pages (ex, dress page 1, dress page 2) with this? Am I completely going about this the wrong way?

I am trying to determine 1)what's the best way to do this 2) is this something I can do (I'm okay taking a long time to learn and do this) or is this something that I would have to hire for (I don't really have the funds as this is a side project now)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Unless you want to spend some time really learning PHP and MySQL (or whatever specific server-side technology you choose), it might be easiest and quickest to see if there is already a CMS that does pretty much what you need -- and then all you need to do is apply your design skills to get just the look you want.

You might be able to use WordPress (including static pages for the...well...static stuff), or you might want something more like Joomla or Drupal. In any case, poke around at http://www.opensourcecms.com/ to see if there is something there that looks like it has the right features and learning curve for you.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information