www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Database driven website

Database driven website

Hi everyone , I thinking to build a database driven website( if it is appropriate term to use). Here where i live there is one website that impressed me a lot interms of functionalities and i want to build similar website back home in my country. The site is called WWW.Finn.no. It lets users create profile and /or post vacancies, products to sell , rent whatever. Of course i want different looks and structure but pretty the same functionalities. I am not novice for static webdesign( i do it for fun but not this time though ) but given the possible number of pages and database envolved scared me a bit. I am planning to begin first the plain website with html and css and then proceed to the database stuff. Please if you have any idea on how to proceed or possible problems i might face as i go along it is hugely appriciated.

Thank u in advance

You should look in to a CMS such as Wordpress or Drupal.
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by cbVision View Post
    You should look in to a CMS such as Wordpress or Drupal.
    Thank you cbVision for prompt reply I am gonna begin with baby steps first

to build a site like your talking about PHP would be a great asset. although wordpress is built in PHP it wont teach you php. I think taking the baby steps is a great idea. build a layout and then make a list of task you want to complete which can all be done with php. then ask for help and look for tutorials for each individual task. think of your project as milestones to help you break it up in to pieces to keep your self from getting overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Diaz View Post
    to build a site like your talking about PHP would be a great asset. although wordpress is built in PHP it wont teach you php. I think taking the baby steps is a great idea. build a layout and then make a list of task you want to complete which can all be done with php. then ask for help and look for tutorials for each individual task. think of your project as milestones to help you break it up in to pieces to keep your self from getting overwhelmed.
    Thank u Nicholas , u know the idea is like two birds with one stone . I got another full time job not necessarly related to software but I want to use my spare time in building something potentially profitable and at the same time learning new skills.

well that is exactly how i hot started 3 years ago. I had an idea for a website and i got a quite for it which was 40 thousand dollars. i decided I would like to learn how to build it anyways so i started reading about different languages to figure out how to build my project.

3 years later i have experience in html css JS java ajax and php. Recently just started learning android. but I still am not qualified to build the application that motivated me to to start learning.

Although I dont work anymore I love web development and it is my hobby and job. Through out the journey I have made connections through networking and i have recently contracted a tutor / friend to help build the project with me.

I promise you if you start small and keep working you will learn and most likely fall in love with what your doing. I really hope you follow through with your idea and dont give up. You will find your self making a ton of progress and then be stuck on the smallest problem for a week. But one day you will complete your goal and it will all be worth it. I will never forget how proud I was when i created my first navigation bar...

I really hope you take my advice and stay away from things like wordpress. I feel like they will cripple your learning. and my advice to you is exactly how I learned what I know today. You can learn this stuff its just gonna take time a dedication. At the end of the day your ability to research and locate the information you are looking for will make or break you.

that being said I love working on interesting projects and any help you would like I would be more then willing to assist Just for the sake of the the chance to learn something or be a part of something I have yet to do.

Really thank you for the offer and I am inspired like never before . I was just last year that i fall in love with webdevelopment stuff. To be honest i thought i should be born again to learn those stuffs. Back at shcool i didnt get my own computer home unlike my classmates and they used to outshine me when it comes to computer class(I fought back with being exra good with other stuff though lol). That made me think ' well that is not my thing ! ' When i reminisce after 15 yrs suddenly i decided to give it a try now. And I fell in love and the better i know it the more i want it. cheers

Thread Information