www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting delimiter from a line

Just to be pedantic, CSV files use commas as delimiters (that's what the "C" stands for), with pretty specific rules for things like using quotes.

I stole parts of what I used to identify the email address from here: http://www.ex-parrot.com/pdw/Mail-RFC822-Address.html

The only parts you should have to mess around with are this at the beginning:
    Code:
    (^|\S)\s*
    ...and this at the end...
    Code:
    \s*(\S|$)
    \s is any white-space (space, tab, newline, carriage return, vertical tab)
    \S is any character that is NOT a white-space character

To include tabs as delimiters, I believe you could change those parenthesized bits to include the tab character via \t:
    Code:
    (^|[\S\t])\s*
    Code:
    ([\S\t]|$)
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Hi

This is the regex that i am using after modification

static $regex = '/(^|[\S\t])\s*[^()<>@,;:\\".\[\] \000-\031][^()<>@,;:\\"\[\] \000-\031]*@[^()<>@,;:\\"\[\] \000-\031]*[^()<>@,;:\\".\[\] \000-\031]+\s*([\S\t]|$)/';
    But the function is returning false when I am passing data with tab separated.

Last edited by phantom007; 06-23-2013 at 05:44 AM.

Apart from the issue reported in my last post, could you also split up your regex into variables so that if tomorrow I want to add a new character to allow/disallow I should be able to do it myself?

Thanks for the help

PHP Code:
        static $regex '/(^|[\S\t]) *?[^()<>@,;:\\".\[\] \000-\031][^()<>@,;:\\"\[\] \000-\031]*@[^()<>@,;:\\"\[\] \000-\031]*[^()<>@,;:\\".\[\] \000-\031]+ *([\S\t]|$)/'
    However, this probably won't work as desired if you have an odd case where the separator is some character like ";" but you also have a tab character before/after it.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

ok, I have updated the code and it still does not show the delimiter is tab.

Here is the code and attached is the csv i m testing.

Code:
      function getDelimiter($str, $debug = false)
        {
            static $regex = '/(^|[\S\t]) *?[^()<>@,;:\\".\[\] \000-\031][^()<>@,;:\\"\[\] \000-\031]*@[^()<>@,;:\\"\[\] \000-\031]*[^()<>@,;:\\".\[\] \000-\031]+ *([\S\t]|$)/';  

if(preg_match($regex, $str, $matches)) {
                if($debug) {
                    echo "<pre>Degbug: found email:\n".var_export($matches,1)."</pre>\n";
                }
                for($ix=1; $ix<=2; $ix++) {
                    if(!empty($matches[$ix]) and preg_match('/\W/', $matches[$ix])) {
                        $delimiter = $matches[$ix];
                        $delimiter = ord($delimiter)==9 ? 'TAB' : $delimiter;
                        return $delimiter;
                    }
                }
            }

return false;
        }

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information