www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Please rate my site

Please rate my site

I have tried to update my site (www.harrymills.co.uk) to a liquid layout using css. Please can anyone go on, have a look and check to see if it is all ok. I have checked it in Opera 7.23, Mozilla 1.6 and IE 5.5 all for windows. If you have any other browsers then please tell me if they display it properly (or in a way that looks ok if you cant tell what "properly" is).

Thanks
    Dathor Verlox
    http://www.harrymills.co.uk

GO LINUX!!! WOOT!!!

I don't know how to tell you this...

in IE 6, with 800x600 resolution:

I see your layers all "smooshed" . Menu on the left jumps all over the place when hovered over, and when pages are reloaded. Vertical height is not stable.
    There is a javascript error in gallery pages.

It lookes good in NS 7.1. I can check for NS4 tomorrow.
    Forum page is blank. Is it still WIP?
    Last edited by Daria; 02-16-2004 at 03:14 PM.
    Absence of a result is a result, unless defined otherwise.

The layout great in IE 6 at 1280*1240, although there is a fairly big white space between the topbanner and themaincontent.

At 1024*768 there is still a relitively large white space between the topbanner and maincontent.

When i resize to 800*600 the layout is perfect, with no large white spaces or anything.

At 640*480 the maincontent overlaps the topbanner.

Also, on all resolutions, as Daria has already said, the menu jumps about alot.

"Windows isn't a virus, viruses do something."

They suck up money and electricity... and while they're evil, they are effective. customizable, even if u have to put in the extra work. i honestly wish i could hate m$, but look at all it's done. it happened to make asheron's call and any company that had a part in asheron's call's making is fine by me.

www.asheronscall.com
    Theres this thing called imperfection. Its the one thing everyones got but nobody wants.

I.. HATE.. EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! Why do.. I Love you? I HATE Everything about you! Why do I.. love you??? Everytime we lie awake... after every hit we take.. every feeling that i get.. but i haven't missed you yet. only when I stop to think about it... I.. HATE.. EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! Why do.. I Love you? I HATE Everything about you! Why do I.. love you?

OK...
    Nitpick 1: Colors
    Orange on Blue is not my favorite color combo. You should pick a few colors and stick with it. This works especially well with CSS as if you want to change colors, all pages are updated at once. For example, on my page I use dark blues, blacks, and whites- it's my scheme.
    Nitpick 2: Layout/Content
    The layout is very blah. However with the lack of content, I can see why it is. You should really make some more stuff for it.. right some more articles that kind of thing. It's alright to be a work in progress.
    Good thing:
    I'm only going to tell you one of the things i found good about your site: pop ups. my site is horrible with them... i applaud you for having such an excellent server. of course i AM viewing on mozilla with pop up blocker on....

my opinion is that his site looks like it was made with frontpage, and made in less than 20 minutes. but that's just me. the code doesnt look like it of course, just the bland appearance. hopefully content will hide the horrible colors. (i love black and red. some blue can be thrown in if u are desperate. white text all the way. easier on the eyes for black background and white text.)

theres nothing like staring at a lightbulb all day. (your monitor)
    Theres this thing called imperfection. Its the one thing everyones got but nobody wants.

I.. HATE.. EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! Why do.. I Love you? I HATE Everything about you! Why do I.. love you??? Everytime we lie awake... after every hit we take.. every feeling that i get.. but i haven't missed you yet. only when I stop to think about it... I.. HATE.. EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! Why do.. I Love you? I HATE Everything about you! Why do I.. love you?

A must: ditch the orange :hover background on the links.

Also, the site looks fine in a Standards-Compliant browser. IE screws everything up -- sadly.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

You'll notice that most of the posts in this thread are gone, and here's why: http://forums.webdeveloper.com/showt...&threadid=9968

We've been quite lienient lately, but it's getting out of hand.

Personal website http://www.ryanbrill.com/
    Business website: http://www.infinitywebdesign.com/
    TypeSpace http://www.typespace.org/

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own!

ok, so should i change the orange hover colour on the links or just ditch it. I'll probably change the colour scheme to greens or blues (not both of course)

The bland appearance is due to me only just starting to learn css when i started building. It will change after i get to grips with it some more.

Thanks for all the comments.
    Dathor Verlox
    http://www.harrymills.co.uk

GO LINUX!!! WOOT!!!

Good luck Darth.

and I'll.. try.. to stay on safe on-topic grounds.

Thread Information