www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Read blocks of text from text file

Read blocks of text from text file

Hi,

I'm new to Javascript, although not new to programming, and have taken over maintaining a website for a small charity.

I'm trying to make their "news page" easier to maintain, by allowing them to add, and remove, news items to a text file, and uploading file to the server and then get Javascript to read in, and display the text blocks in a DIV using CSS to format it for display. Currently every time there is an update the HTML page has to be updated.

I have managed to do it for individual sentences by loading each sentence into an array and displaying each array element. However some of the news items might be a couple of paragraphs long. I have tried using a marker (pipe character) to demark each text block, but have not worked out how to acheive it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for acheiving this using Javascript.?

Many thanks

You'll probably have to define both an end-of-paragraph marker and an end-of-article marker to make it easy for your script to format the raw text into something resembling HTML. My advice would be to use a different approach.

You could use a package like CKEditor to give users a word-processor-like interface to create real HTML in a familiar environment. Then you could use an <iframe>, Server Side Include, or other mechanism to display the content and avoid having to rely on JavaScript on the front end entirely.

Another option would be to add a blog package like WordPress to the site and give them a much more robust platform to work with.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Lightbulb

Another suggestion...

Create your text files and name them with a date, like 20130628_info.txt.
    Each file would contain the information generated for that <div> area display.

Then create a text (or external JS) file that would contain ONLY the text files to display, like...
    20130628_info.txt
    20130627_info.txt
    20130626_info.txt
    20130625_info.txt

Finally, your HTML program would use ajax to read in (or load as an external JS file) the filenames to display.
    Using that information, then use ajax to load in the actual file contents to be displayed in the <div> area of your HTML.
    Your only maintence requirements would be to supply the display information by date generated
    and updating the filenames when the information to be displayed is complete and finalized.
    You would not need to change the HTML at all.

You would also have the ability to not display information before a certain date but still have it archived for retrieval if necessary.

Just a thought...
    Good Luck!

Thanks for your help folks, but I went down a slightly different route, based on my previous programming experience!

I wrote a Delphi program that allows the user to alter/add/delete text from the file. It then parses the text, adds HTML markers, and then FTPs it to the server as "Newsfeed.HTML".

I changed the main news page to be a SHTML page with a DIV containing <!-- #include file="Newsfeed.HTML" -->

Not the most elegant solution, but seems to work ok.

Once again many thanks

Thread Information