www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to Hide Part of String?

Question How to Hide Part of String?

How would I hide part of a string (up to and including a slash)? So if my string is "firstpart/secondpart" -- I need it to only output "secondpart".

Thank you for your help.

You're not "hiding" anything. You're extracting a substring. Start with http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.substr.php
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Yes. That's correct. But the string length/content is going to vary. Not sure substr() would handle that. Thoughts?

If you have a specific marker of some kind, you can use strpos() to locate it in the original string and then use the result in substr(). See http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.strpos.php
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

I stil don't know how this would look with strpos(). Can you offer an example?

Extracting substrings is a common task, and like many programming issues, there are several different ways of doing it. The best choice depends on exactly what you're trying to do. It would also be helpful to have an idea of your programming skills so that I'm not just spoon-feeding you code that might solve your example problem, but would be of little use in solving your actual problem. Could you post some of your existing code so I can get an idea of what you're trying to do and where you are at the moment.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Thank you for the explanation. I've got it worked out. Ended up using strtok().

Thread Information