dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Creating an HTML5 based blog...

Creating an HTML5 based blog...

I'm not sure where to post this, so when you reply, please let me know the best forum you think questions like this should be placed in. I would assume one of the Server-side forums...

I have a website here. I do not want to incorporate Wordpress into this site. I simply want to create a blog on my site, which is HTML5 based. It's also responsive. I see a lot of blog software out there and other 3rd party sites such as Blogger, etc.

Where do I start? There must have been blogs before the invention of Wordpress. How was it done?

I'm an experienced front end developer, but I'm having trouble researching this aspect of it.

-Jared

Well, from a high-level view, "HTML5" is really only meaningful in terms of front-end development. So as long as a given blogging engine does a good job of separating client-side mark-up/Javascript from the server-side code, then it should mainly be an issue of developing HTML5 templates. An exception might be if you want to add AJAX calls to the templates, in which case you may need to create custom server-side API calls to handle them.

Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by a "HTML5-based blog"?
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

To clarify, what I meant is that I have an HTML5 site, but I want a blog on it.

Would that change your answer at all?

I just don't want to use wordpress for that site...

-Jared

Generally speaking, no, it does not change my answer. However, it's certainly possible that other blogging engines have better built-in support for HTML5 features, though I think this would mainly reside in the templates and whatever template engine they use (if any). You could poke around at opensourcecms.com to see if any of the offerings there claim any sort of HTML5-specific support.

Also, note that there are HTML5 responsive templates for WordPress, in case that is the only reason you don't want to use WP.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information