www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Problem with LEFT JOIN one to many

Exclamation Problem with LEFT JOIN one to many

Hi
    I've database with a table in which are memorized messages, and another table with votes of all messages

For exemple
    votes: userID, messageID, valutation

Now i've to tak all messages along with respective votes, so this is my query

SELECT messages.text, voted.valutation FROM messages LEFT JOIN votes ON messages.ID=votes.messageID

The problem is that from the moment that each message can have more than ne vote, the result of query and of the fetching operations, retrieve me only one vote for each message!

I don't know if the problem is in the query or in the fetch associative operation. Infact fetching as associative array, it assigns for each value a sector with an associative key taken from the column name... So, i think that, from the moment that i have "many" values associed with "valutation" name, it casue some overwites... right??

Quote Originally Posted by American horizo View Post
    I don't know if the problem is in the query or in the fetch associative operation
    To clear this out you need to run this query either in console sql client or in some phpMyAdmin. If you do not have any of them, print each row right after fetching it from result set to check if the returned data looks like what you expect.

I also suppose this is not direct copy-paste because there is a typo in your query and thus it will not work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tishetsky View Post
    I also suppose this is not direct copy-paste because there is a typo in your query and thus it will not work at all.
    in fact i've rearranged it for make it simpler, and yes, the typo is in the "voted" word
    Last edited by American horizo; 07-17-2013 at 02:40 AM.

I've done as you said, launching the query from phpmyadmin and the results are ok... So at this point the problem is the fetching operation on duplicate associative keys. How can avoid that?

EDIT: howewer i noted that the valutation of the same message are placed on different rows, while i need on the same
    Last edited by American horizo; 07-17-2013 at 03:00 AM.

At this moment I would like you to show teh codez and the phpMyAdmin output for your query. In particlar I need to see how do you fetch data from the result set. The Manual says:
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query($sql);
    while (
    $row mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
        echo 
    $row["userid"];
        echo 
    $row["fullname"];
        echo 
    $row["userstatus"];
    }
    mysql_free_result($result); 
    In case you need the result to be processed further instead of immediate echo it would be
    PHP Code:
    while ($row mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {

$rows[] = $row;
    }
    mysql_free_result($result);
    print_r($rows); 
    It is pretty straightforward and I cannot imagine how it is possible to screw it up.

Hi,
    SELECT messages.text, voted.valutation FROM messages LEFT JOIN votes ON messages.ID=votes.messageID
    try these in place of (voted) you can type (votes)

Thread Information