www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Much public speaking in web development?

Much public speaking in web development?

Hey guys,

I've been in a Windows support role for about 7 years, and am thinking of transitioning into dev. I've always been interested in web dev, and even have an assoc. degree in it from years ago, but just never followed that path.

Anyway, one thing I'm wondering about is if there is a large public speaking component to web development. For example, having to get in front of groups of users to train them, or present something to a large group in one way or another. I really don't like doing this, and was wondering how much of this is needed in a web dev career.

Thanks!
    Mike

I would think it depends entirely on what sort of web development job you're talking about. As a software developer, I've never had occasion to speak to large audiences, but certainly I've been in many meetings where I might have to speak briefly to some issue in a conference room with a handful of people up to maybe a bit over a dozen or so, if that counts?
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I mean do web developers ever have to give presentations? Being in a conference room and answering a few questions would be ok with me I suppose. I just don't want to have to 'present' something or train a group of users.

I'm trying to understand a web dev's day. Like if I develop something don't I have to train a bunch of people how to use it? Or will I have to present what I've created to a bunch of people?

I'd just like to avoid presentations

As NogDog stated-> "I would think it depends entirely on what sort of web development job you're talking about."

My company is building an expensive web based accounting package that will eventually replace our two for lack of better words - standard accounting packages.

There are probably 20 developers working on the project... Yes, they do a lot of verbal communication between themselves. And they have meetings where many will take turns leading the discussions.

Eventually, the sales, training and implementation teams will get involved...then the support people.

None of the developers will deal directly with the public. But, they may be on standby notice later in the game to assist the sales team if they have a large presentation to do.

Your mileage may vary depending on what you develop and who you develop it for.
    "Life is unpredictable, eat dessert first."

Thanks for the article

Thread Information