dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Php website question. Please help.

Hybrid View

Php website question. Please help.

*Noob warning*
    I have a quick question for you guys here, and I want to apologize ahead of time if I am posting this in the wrong section.

I have noticed that many sites that sell user-customizable products look very similar.
    See for example:
    http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=156
    http://www.geekbox.com/system-builde...3&type=desktop
    http://www.pugetsystems.com/nav/obsidian/customize.php

I want to build a website with a similar functionality to that (though different products).
    I like the dropbox, the dynamic pricing, the fact that different options within the dropboxes have individual details and the general layout. I can't help but notice those sites are all very, very similar.

Basically, what I am getting at is, how difficult is it to build a site of similar quality to those listed above, and with similar functionality?
    Are there templates/configurable themes that would enable me to accomplish that with little coding knowledge?
    Or are those pages something that only a professional could handle?

I am sorry for the noobish questions, but I would greatly appreciate any replies/help at all.

There are open source E-commerce packages that can be customized and could be made to offer the features you mention. But creating such customizations is well beyond your current experience. You would need significant skills and experience in both PHP and JavaScript, and at least a passing knowledge of Internet security.

You could certainly start with a package like Zen Cart or osCommerce and rely on their basic configurations at the start. Both packages have a large support community that offer extensions which provide special features, and the dynamic pricing feature might be available for one or both.

What you don't want to do is invest a lot of time and money in creating a site without first developing a solid plan for setting up your business legally and financially, and for attracting traffic to your site. Find out the costs of things like hosting services, SSL certificates, business and sales tax licenses, and merchant credit card accounts. Learn how to build traffic to a website. It's dirt simple to build a simple website these days, but these are things you need to know beforehand in order to really have a chance to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by rtrethewey View Post
    There are open source E-commerce packages that can be customized and could be made to offer the features you mention. But creating such customizations is well beyond your current experience. You would need significant skills and experience in both PHP and JavaScript, and at least a passing knowledge of Internet security.

You could certainly start with a package like Zen Cart or osCommerce and rely on their basic configurations at the start. Both packages have a large support community that offer extensions which provide special features, and the dynamic pricing feature might be available for one or both.

What you don't want to do is invest a lot of time and money in creating a site without first developing a solid plan for setting up your business legally and financially, and for attracting traffic to your site. Find out the costs of things like hosting services, SSL certificates, business and sales tax licenses, and merchant credit card accounts. Learn how to build traffic to a website. It's dirt simple to build a simple website these days, but these are things you need to know beforehand in order to really have a chance to succeed.
    Thanks, I will look into this!

I just saw the link. I think the designer has a lot of impact over web application. So website is getting pretty much well.

Thread Information