www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Writing Custom PHP Function

Hybrid View

Writing Custom PHP Function

I am relatively new to PHP code and I am having trouble turning a piece of custom PHP form code into a PHP function.

I am trying to pass two form variables into the function ($var and $fee) and then use those variables to return the new calculated fee ($newfee). My code is trying to say that if $var is set to 'Y' then I need to deduct $3.00 from $fee, so here is my function:

<?php
    function feeValue ($var,$fee) {
    if ($var == 'Y') {
    $newfee = $fee 3.00';
    } else {
    $newfee = $fee;
    }
    return $newfee;
    }
    ?>

I then put this function into a separate PHP file and require or include it in my form. Then I insert the results of the calculation return code code back to my PHP form to set the calculated value of $newfee as follows:

$fee = feeValue($newfee);

However when I try to submit the form all I get is a blank page, which I guess is telling me there is something wrong with my PHP function code, or perhaps the way I am returning the value.

Note that if I use the code in my PHP function and insert it direct to the form (i.e. just the if/else statement) then all works fine as I want. However I specifically wish to use PUP functions in cases like this, so can anyone help me out here please and point me in the right direction??

Many Thanks, PaulB

You have defined your function to require 2 parameters, but you are only supplying one when you call it.

Note that while still debugging, you might want to stick this at the top of your script:
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    ini_set
    ('display_errors'true); // change to false for live version
    error_reporting(E_ALL);
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thanks NogDog,

Can you tell me how I need to supply the two variables - I thouhght I had - $var and $fee in the line:
    function feeValue ($var,$fee)

Can you please give me some more info - much appreciated!!

PaulB

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Thanks NogDog,

Can you tell me how I need to supply the two variables - I thouhght I had - $var and $fee in the line:
    function feeValue ($var,$fee)

Can you please give me some more info - much appreciated!!

PaulB
    ==
    Use the below way to pass the two variables to the function.

$newfee = feeValue($var,$fee);

Now $newfee will have the calculated value/function return value.

Thread Information