dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: wi-fi dead spot

wi-fi dead spot

Hi Guys

I would like some advice. I have recently bought a new wi-fi device but I cannot get a signal in the living room where I need it. I can get a signal in the kitchen right next to it and so I was wondering if a wireless router with antennae will pick up the signal from the kitchen and allow me to access it from the living room ? Unfortunately for the moment it is not possible for me to physically relocate my modem and or computer to make the wi-fi signal more accessible.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Had to upgrade the external antennas for a house built about 1880. Why, the lead paint was so thick it stopped a standard 3 dB antenna, while a 7db would punch through just fine.

This is in my laptop bag as I travel and hit lots of weak signals in Motels and the like.
    EnGenius EUB9603H Wireless Adapter with 5dBi antenna 600mW High Power USB 2.0
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA24G1728224

It might be worth trying just moving the wireless router around a bit within the current location and see if that makes any difference (avoiding some ducting or such that might be in the way?).
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

You donít really need fancy software to identify dead zones. Just pick up your smartphone or another wireless device, connect to your wireless network, and walk around your house, apartment, or office. Pay attention to the Wi-Fi signal indicator on your smartphone. If signal strength drops to zero, youíve found a dead zone. If it drops to a very low level, that may also be a concern ó unreliable signal strength may result in lower speeds and some devices may not be able to connect on the fringes of your Wi-Fi network. Different devices have different tolerances for low signal strength.

I think you need a repeater in this case instead of a router. All you have to do is to place that repeater in your kitchen. The repeater is basically a range extender which will amplify your router's signals and transmit them further. So you will get your required signal strength in your living room. You will just have to configure your repeater so that the repeater and the router are on the same network and off you go. Hope it helps!

Did you try wifi range extenders?
    I think it works great..

What is wifi range extender?

Wi-Fi range extender, sometimes called a range expander,
    is a type of wireless repeater used to expand the reach of a wireless LAN.
    The device is situated in between a base router or access point and a client
    that is not close enough to receive acceptable service or one that is on the other side of a barrier.

Depending what country you live in, if you live in the UK then your stuck with the current output power as it is an offence to up the gain. However, it does not stop you adding a directional point to point set up that allows you to focus the signal in the general direction and stop signal cancellation because of refacted signals.

As suggested, move your router around.

If you are able to, add an antenna,

An alternative is to have a room by room WiFi repeater set up, TP Link do them so I guess that other companies do them and they plug in to your mains socket and allow a pass through and add WiFi to a room that is having difficulty with reception.

There are a number of firmwares that you can flash your router with that allows you to access settings that manufacturers hide. This is a grey area on legality because upping the gain on your router may require a licence unless its a point to point focused beam set up that gives you more power. I suggested this to a guy I know who is meant to be a M$ expert in network administration *rolls eyes* I despair sometimes.

You are best buying the equipment over making it because making these directional antenna can be hit and miss and if you buy then you get technical back up and won't face FCC / OfCom breathing down your neck when things go wrong...
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <-- ... and please remember to wrap any code you have in forum tags:-
    [CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

upping the gain on your router may require a licence
    Or having the FCC show up and confiscate your equipment.

Thread Information