dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Bad sectors on my hdd, help

Bad sectors on my hdd, help

I have an old hdd of 250GB.
    It has some problems, bad sectors.
    I want to isolate, mark all the bad sectors and use the rest of it.
    Is there any Programm that can do the job ????
    I have tried, all! I tried checkdsk, but when it comes to a specified point (while scanning files), it freezes!
    I also tried with hdd regenerator, in windows and with cd boot. The same results....
    It freezes at some point....
    Can i format it with some specific good program and ISOLATE the bad sectors ?

I would toss the drive in the trash. Sounds like it's only a matter of time before it dies.

Modern hard disks support Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART), which automatically maps out bad blocks, replacing them from a pool of blocks that are OK. If you're seeing bad blocks at the OS level, that means that your disk has run out of its "emergency supply" of backup blocks. Normally this is a sign that the disk is on its last legs. Although it could last for months with just that one bad block, it's more likely to begin developing more bad blocks in the near future. In fact, it may do so catastrophically, with the number of bad blocks spreading to consume vast quantities of your data in a matter of minutes.
    Thus, I do not recommend using a software solution to map out your one bad block; instead, replace the whole disk. Although tools to map out individual bad blocks do exist, they were written for pre-SMART hard disks, when a handful of bad blocks were common on brand-new disks. Today, the only safe course of action really is to replace the disk.
    http://superuser.com/questions/77201...-blocks-on-hdd
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

All HDDs have bad sectors but they are hidden automatically by the drive's built in OS. Only at the end of a drives useful life do the bad sectors become visible. You can, if you wish, extend the life of the drive by identifying and renaming the file(s) that the bad sector(s) are allocated to. Use something obvious, like the file extension ".BAD". Do not delete the files, because that will put the bad sectors back in the available pool of drive space. However, I would urge you to replace the drive as soon as possible. A drive with visible bad sectors cannot be relied upon.

I would suggest you to use the software titled Hard Disk Sentinel first. What it does is that it scans your hard drive for the existing bad sectors which tends to give you a fair idea of where the bad sectors lie on the hard drive. Once you know their position, then you have to manually partition the disk and hide the sectors that are causing the problem.

HDD Regenerator.

Most bad sectors are poor magnetic flux on the platters and can be fixed in many cases, out of 7 hard disk failure, 5 drives are still operational some 5 years on.
    --> JQuery questions here <-- ... and please remember to wrap any code you have in forum tags:-
    [CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

Thread Information