dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How do I block ad certain domains?

How do I block ad certain domains?

Is there a setting in Chrome or FireFox (or an extension I can install), that allows me to block certain domains?

To make my Home Theatre PC kid-friendly, I need to be able to block certain ad networks that like to put inappropriate images in their advertisements.

Perhaps my best bet is to simply edit my hosts file (point the offending domains to my localhost IP).

Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

I suggest you Google "google chrome block domain". I did and this is what I got...

AdBlock-Plus for FireFox and Chrome has selective filtering option

I would recommend the HOSTS file option, since that blocks the ads even if a different browser or application is used.

Also, check out the Microsoft MVPs Host File. It's a preset hosts file that blocks thousands of ad networks and malware infested sites. Whenever I set up a new PC I set this file up on the PC to block any malware and ads.

@BMR777 - thanks! The MVP file will help tremendously.

Even with the best care in the world, you will have some slip by. Services like Vimeo, YouTube rely on the person posting the video to categorize it properly.

I had a run in with some snotty nosed kid from the states, florida to be exact, he persistently uploads videos of Minecraft (what my son likes to watch and play) and its the first time he has seen this particular users account when about a minute in to the video, out comes a load of foul language, not the sort of thing you want your 8 year old son to hear, especially from another 8 year old, and the person posting the video insists on listing his videos as child friendly and not containing foul language, despite pointing the error of his ways, I kept getting a blank refusal and trying to pass the buck to me for allowing my son to watch YouTube videos...

Complaining to people like YouTube gets you nowhere, that much I can say, If you are worried about adverts, etc, and other content, then your better off creating a user account on your media device and set up parental controls and use a video streaming player like Xine, VLC or even WMP.

Even when you have set this filtering up, expect some to get through, programmers don't care, only care about circumventing any measures people put in place, what happened to honour and respecting a person privacy?
    STOP using $ prefix on JavaScript variable names...
    Please remember to wrap any code you have in forum tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

Yup! Same issue here.
    At least with this in place I can try to prevent animated bouncing Triple-Ds from appearing on the screens and new tabs/pop-ups that trick 7 year olds into clicking "OK".

What are your router capabilities? It may be best implementing a policy on your router / modem.

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

I hope the next article will help you block websites internet explorer firefox google chrome

There are 2 ways for blocking it...
    First is that contact with hosting providers and request them to cease it for some while or for always and another thing is that if you do not paid required amount so it will be automatically blocked by service providers after some time.

I dont have practical experience on this but got an article which describes different ways of blocking ad here http://dottech.org/17516/block-ads-i...-opera-how-to/

You could install ad blocker inside it.

the best way to block the site in the windows operating system is go to run and type the path C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and edit the file named hosts and insert the unwanted sites in the specific column

Following up for everyone - the Microsoft MVPs Host File (linked above) has been working out really well.
    The file itself is quite the overkill for my purposes - there are many legitimate tracking URLs in there (like SiteCatalyst tracking requests from legitimate sites like Banks, etc.).

So far, I've only had to add 3 new entries.

Look at SpywareBlaster for bad URL's and malware blocking too.

Thread Information