www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Packard Bell iMedia 5700 memory problems

Packard Bell iMedia 5700 memory problems

According to many site I have seen about maximum board memory size for the older iMedia computers, 2GB is the maximum size.

So I bought 2x 1GB memory chips, one being a PC2100 and the other later on being a PC2700

The system had at that point 2 x 256MB PC2100 chips.

So I put in a 1GB PC2100 and left a 256MB chip in to give 1.25GB of RAM.

When I got the PC2700 I swapped out the PC2100 256MB of ram and the PC wouldn't boot.

So I took out the 1GB PC2100 and put in a 256MB PC2100 with the 1GB PC2700 ram and the system boots up.

So the BIOS needs updating and the Packard Bell site no longer is supporting the iMedia PC's and putting in the machines credentials comes back as unrecognized and finding a reliable site that is not a virus is getting to be tedious.

All I want to be able to do is to get Minecraft to run on the machine for my son. Tablets with lesser memory and power runs minecraft, the Raspberry PI runs it, it runs on mobile phones but getting it to run on this machine is a problem. The nettop I am using runs it and it is not exactly fast enough to do that.

Having tried the very unhelpful minecraft forums which all seem to jump on the old video card excuse when theirs nothing wrong with whats in the machine and several PC shops have confirmed that the video cards already installed are more than adequate, I have drawn a blank as the saying goes.

So what I need is a reliable BIOS upgrade site to take care of the memory problems. Packard Bell have not responded to my request for help that was put in writing to them some 2 months ago, so much for service care...
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Mixing ram chips in any pc has always been a gamble. It either works or it doesn't.

Most of the times, companies like PB don't make their own BIOS. When you boot up do you you see a name like Phoenix or Award or AST Advantage etc??? If so, look on their site for updates.
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound....."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

With the PC2100 and PC2700 is makes no difference, the BIOS runs at what the slowest chip is, the really old DDR chipsets wouldn't work like the newer DDR2 or later will.

The PC Boots with a PC2100 256 and a PC2700 1GB to give 1.25GB of working RAM without any boot or operational issues.

I have tried looking on the motherboard for any indication of who makes the BIOS, I haven't got any clue as to how I can get in to BIOS on the machine and thats mainly because PB having sold out to ASUS didn't take on any older machine documentation or updates, they are only interested in anything that they have made since taking over the PB name.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thread Information