dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Windows 8.1 - VERY SLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW

Windows 8.1 - VERY SLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW

I am surprise there is not a lot of complaints about Windows 8.1 being extremely slow. I am getting a lot of the "Not Responding" pretty much every program I open to use including all the different browsers. Also, the CPU is reaching max out at 100% all the time.

I was reading the Windows 8 was much faster until people downloaded the Windows 8.1 version. I just bought the HP laptop with Windows 8.1 and not very satisfy with the performance. Even with surfing the internet and nothing else open, the CPU is showing 100% max out. I just did the latest update and it did nothing to speed things up. What happen to Microsoft?!

Anyone know a way to speed Windows 8.1?

This is the HP Laptop I recently bought:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-15...lion+15-g019wm

Hey mate don't have clear idea using Windows 8.1. Basically I use Windows 7. And so far is going well. No issue or slowness.

From Microsoft:
    If you want to run Windows 8.1 on your PC, here's what it takes:
    Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.
    Your computer's specs:
    Processor: AMD E1-1200, 1 GHz
    RAM: 4GB
    (specs from http://www.pcworld.com/product/14302...tebook-pc.html)

So you have the bare minimum processor requirement. And the RAM is a bit on the chintzy side.

By way of comparison my now 2+ year old Toshiba laptop came with an Intel Core i7 2.4 GHz processor, 8GB RAM, and Windows 8. It now runs 8.1 and I'll be upgrading to Win10. It has always been a screaming machine in terms of speed. Yes, every once in a while there will be a "hanging process", but that's not the fault of Windows, it's the fault of the application. Now, before you start thinking that I spent a bunch more money on it than you did on yours, that is not the case. Memory is a bit fuzzy, but maybe $500? Probably less. I'm a cheapskate.

If you're going to keep that computer there are several things to try. Open the task manager and see what processes are eating up CPU and RAM. Do they really need to be running? If not, shut them down. Next click on the Startup tab. It seems everybody and his brother wants their application to load on boot then sit in the background, whether or not you ever use that app. Adobe Reader, Quicktime (and other Apple products -- iTunes et al) and some others don't need to run on Startup. Disable them. Be careful not to disable your AV or something else you really need, although it's easy to enable them if you mess up.

I am surprise there is not a lot of complaints about Windows 8.1 being extremely slow.
    Look, you bought an inexpensive computer with somewhat minimal hardware specs. Don't blame Windows 8.1 for not running optimally on that minimal hardware. In point of fact many reviews for your computer, not Windows 8.1, complain of slowness.

4 GB of ram is not a problem. That is more than the maximum that 32 bit versions of Windows can use, and there are plenty of quick 32 bit machines about. However 1GHz is seriously underpowered. So what can you do? Well, there is a utility in Windows called MSCONFIG which allows you to disable services and programs loaded at start up that you do not really need. WARNING: It can also disable programs that you DO need. So use it with care!!! I.e.
    - Never disable any Microsoft programs/services.
    - Disable one program/service at a time.

To use it, search for "msconfig". Once you have launched the program:
    - Click on the "startup" tab. Disable any programs (one at a time) that say "update".

If you still need to free up CPU time:
    - Click on the "services" tab.
    - Click on the "hide Microsoft services" tab (so you can't accidentally disable them).
    - Disable (one at a time) any that you recognise as being inessential.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    Well, there is a utility in Windows called MSCONFIG which allows you to disable services and programs loaded at start up that you do not really need.
    [...]

To use it, search for "msconfig". Once you have launched the program:
    - Click on the "startup" tab.
    [...]
    Except that using instructions found here for accessing MSCONFIG in Win8/8.1 then going to the Startup tab you end up with this:

startup.jpg

So you might as well use Task Manager from the gitgo.

Oops, I should have checked. I was not aware that they'd changed it for Win 8 (I run Win 7). Task manager used to do one-off changes that were forgotten at next boot, while msconfig changes were persistent.

Anyway, anyone lucky enough to be on Win 7, my instructions were correct. Anyone unlucky enough to be on Win 8, follow the amended instructions...

Thanks for correcting this.
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 07-15-2015 at 02:16 AM.

One thing I am not sure. Did you set up your Laptop when it going slow? If not, let's have a try.

I'm using win.8 and feel when running more applications at once, the very slow computer. Who can help me ?. Thanks so much

Windows 8 is not stable. You could upgrade to Windows 8.1 to make your computer has a better performance.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbey View Post
    Windows 8 is not stable.
    What is your source for that statement? 8 and 8.1 have both been rock-solid for me. Absolutely no BSODs, no OS hanging, no other glitches.

While many have their issues with the UI, that has nothing to do with the "stability" of the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by truongtankontum View Post
    I'm using win.8 and feel when running more applications at once, the very slow computer. Who can help me ?. Thanks so much
    We really need to know far more about your machine to comment specifically, but one thing which also applies to the OP is that the whole system can be made more responsive by replacing the hard disk with a solid state drive. However, that is not a task to be undertaken lightly! Unless you know what you are doing, I'd suggest getting a competent professional to do it for you.

I think it is wires issue.

Thread Information