www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Setting up a web site, with server side scripting

Setting up a web site, with server side scripting

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on a project for a website. The objective of the project is to set up a website that allows me to keep track of the books that I have read, and of the books I have yet to read.

Basically, I am creating a website that allows me to use two forms, each on a separate webpage. One form will be used to enter information about the book I have already read. The other form will be used to enter information about the book I have yet to read.

So far, however, I have completed only the layout of the website. Currently, I am a bit confused as to what to steps I have to take. I want to be able to store the book information in a database, which means I am probably going to need to use a server-side scripting programming language.

In my understanding, the following are the phases I must go through in order to accomplish my objective.

- Design the basic layout of the website
    - Register a domain name and find a hosting server.
    - Create a database I am going to need in order to update all the user information.
    - Write scripting in Html code in order to modify the web page output according to user form information.

My main question is: How do I connect my database to my scripting and then, to my webpage?
    Also, what scripting languages should I use: PhP (for server-side) or maybe Javascript (for client-side)?
    I am probably also going to need to use MySQL for the database.

I am really confused. I hope that someone can help me conceptually map out what I need to do in order to accomplish my objective and complete the project.

You only need one form with an input field that is offering the options "read" or "to read"

As your list of objectives...

- Design the basic layout of the website
    - Register a domain name and find a hosting server.
    - Create a database I am going to need in order to update all the user information.
    - Write scripting in Html code in order to modify the web page output according to user form information.

1. Design the basic layout of the website - Download a service like XAMPP or EasyPHP, XAMPP is now a nanny service for developers as its got security built in and it is causing many a headache for people trying to use it. The alternative to that is to install all the services you need like a web server, PHP and MySQL which isn't as hard as it seems, its the configuration that can be a pig which is why you have programs like EasyPHP.

You do not need to register a domain and get web hosting services at present, you only need get your development working first.

2. Register a domain name and find a hosting server. - You can skip this step for now

3. Create a database I am going to need in order to update all the user information. - you do this anyway as part of your development in part 1 of your design and build

4. Write scripting in Html code in order to modify the web page output according to user form information. - Again this is part of part 1 of your design and build.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Or you could just register on GoodReads.com or similar and make use of all their functionality and not re-invent the wheel -- unless there's some reason it's important for you to be doing this separately on your own domain?
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thing is NogDog, it sounds very home / coursework~ish to me...
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thread Information