dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Looking for Advice with Website Building

Looking for Advice with Website Building

Hi Everyone, I just signed up to the forum, hope to learn and contribute a lot.

I am a graphic designer and branched a little bit into web developing, predominantly with Adobe Muse.
    However I am starting to get to the stage where Adobe Muse doesn't have all the features I need for certain clients.
    My current client operates as a Yoga instructor and has decided to launch their own company. I have the design work complete but I am struggling on building the website.

The 3 steps I am struggling with are as follows:
    - They want each customer to create a profile page with their own login details.
    - Then they want them to be able to search the different classes that are being held.
    - Then they want them to be able to pay directly through the site for the specific class.
    (There are certain parameters that i must attach such as the customer being unable to search for a class that is full, my client having an admin page,
    and each customer being sent a unique receipt that they present to the member of staff.)

My questions are:
    - What is the best program to use to build this type of site? (I have adobe creative cloud so any programs in their would be a +)
    - What type of coding language should the website be?
    - and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks in advance guys.

What is the best program to use to build this type of site? (I have adobe creative cloud so any programs in their would be a +)
    I'm afraid CC won't really get you all the way. Unless you want to build this in Action Script . jk.

What type of coding language should the website be?
    This also addresses the first question: There are many tools available out there; when it comes to building this project, I doubt you will find a system that will let you build this application without any coding at all. At least for the time being. I personally would suggest you take a look into PHP, as it's a very wide spread language, perfectly capable of what you are trying to do, proven, not too hard to learn (it's still software engineering though) and with a huge eco system of frameworks and tools to build upon.

For an IDE, it's all about personal taste. I prefer phpStorm –*and NetBeans or Aptana Studio as free alternatives. All of those are available for the three big OS'.

I would try and look for a framework (Laravel, Symfony, Zend Framework, etc.) that allows you to kickstart your project, taking some of the heavy lifting (authentication, etc.) off your hands. Or alternatively a CMS –*Drupal, Typo3 or even Wordpress come to mind, which might get you further with out of the box plug and play modules/extensions/plugins, letting you extend them with the functionality you may need on top of what you are trying to build. All mentioned tools are built on PHP.
    In fact, being a programming novice, the CMS approach would probably get you a lot further than starting with a framework. However, I would definitely advise you, to look for a developer to help you with questions that will arise and/or finish it up, should you hit a cliff too steep to climb as a novice.

Thanks a lot.

I didn't realize just how hard this task would be.
    After looking around i think PHP is the way im going to go, but that could all change.

Thanks again

Thread Information