www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: overlow: auto not working

overlow: auto not working

I'm tying to update a part of my website that needs a scrollable div if the content stretches too far. For some reason this does not work. The content just goes beyond the boundaries set.

Code:
    <div class="span-12 last" style="color:#000; margin-left:10px; height:587; overflow:auto"
    Any ideas?

First you need to fix the 'height' property value to read "height:587px;". If that doesn't help, then try "overflow:scroll;".

Quote Originally Posted by rtrethewey View Post
    First you need to fix the 'height' property value to read "height:587px;". If that doesn't help, then try "overflow:scroll;".
    Changed the height and the overflow. Still expanded beyond what it should have and the scroll bars only effected it horizontally rather than vertically...Could this be because I'm defining the div using a css framework?

I can't say without seeing the actual page.

I'd suggest that you check into some tools that will help you diagnose issues like this. Internet Explorer has the F12 Developer Tools built in. There's an add-on available for Firefox and Chrome called WebDeveloper Tools. Both of them will let you dig into the CSS settings to see what the browser is using for any selected element and will give you visual cues to show the boundaries involved. Most of the time, this is enough information to discover what the problem is and how to repair it.

Thread Information