www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Save HTML Form Data to XML? CSV? Text File?

Save HTML Form Data to XML? CSV? Text File?

I've stumbled across a little road block with this HTML form implementation task at work. Here's some background context to the problem I'm trying to fix.

Due to deadlines/time constraints/the usual lack of resourcing issues I had to settle with this very bad process of:
    1. User accesses HTML form page containing their own system information
    2. User updates some of the form field information data
    3. User submits the form
    4. The HTML form data is extracted to a local CSV file on the user's pc machine
    5. User has to send that CSV file back to me so that I can import that information into a application that's only stored on my machine

Now... I acknowledge the fact that the above process is complex and down right bad practice all around, but nevertheless I now have some time to actually make it better. The question that I have is what are the possible options for saving a HTML Form data into a file that's sitting in the FTP server where that HTML file is sitting in? And is this even possible?

Thanks in advance!

Bacus

As no one has repied. I will give my view. Firstly the process is more complex than it need be:

1. The user inputs data into an on line form.
    2. PHP is used to validate the data, and if passed, it is dumped to a CSV file on the server.
    3. You download the files periodically from the server to your workstation, and import them to Excel, or whatever.

Basically, all you need is:
    - an HTML form on a live site.
    - a PHP script on the live site's server to validate the input and dump the data to a csv file on the live server (with a sequential name).
    - a PHP script on a localhost to download the files to your workstation.

At least, that is the way I would aim to do it.
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 08-26-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Thread Information