www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Taking Up A Big PHP Project - Suggestions Please

Taking Up A Big PHP Project - Suggestions Please

Its been a year since I started learning PHP.
    And I'm feeling excited to go for a big project.
    So, I've decided to code a forum CMS right from scratch. I'll be a simple one. I'll be using these tools and concepts :
    • Simple PHP
    • HTML/CSS
    • jQuery
    • PHPass
    • PHP Active Record ORM
    • Twig Template Engine
    • PHP OOPS
    • Geshi Syntax Highlighter(for code syntax highlighting)
    • PDO

So, all I need is some suggestions if I should change or remove or add any tools here.
    Any tips you'd like to give on how to proceed.
    Any features you'd like to suggest me to add in the CMS.

I'm not using a framework as I dont have experience of using any and it'll take me too much time to learn to use one..

I'll also be taking some ideas and concepts from existing ones like myBB, IPB, vBulletin, SMF, etc especially for DBMS..

Any tips, you're welcome...

Any decent code editor should have code highlighting and syntax checking built into it, so I'd personally have no reason to deal with a tool just for code highlighting.

Also, take a look at some of the PHP frameworks out there and see which ones provide the features you want/need (CakePHP, CodeIgniter, Symfony, Lithium, etc....).
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

But it'll take me too much time to learn using any framework...

Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    But it'll take me too much time to learn using any framework...
    Possibly, possibly not -- that depends on what you consider "too long", as well as how long it would actually take you to learn.

Are you up to speed with everything in your list, or will you be spending time learning some/many/all of them, too? If the latter, how does that balance out against the time it would take to learn a framework? If you won't be using a framework, do you have a good feel for how you will structure your application so that it does not become a tangle of spaghetti-code? (Not meant as a statement on your skills, just the experiences most of us have gone through in our coding careers. )
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

I recall making a blog type of deal with CakePHP in a matter of 10 minutes or so. I'd consider using that with netbeans (which is the only IDE i know which can handle the ORM).

The project could be done in like 60 minutes... at least done enough that it resembles a forum where one can log in, start a thread and send a private message to another user. Assuming some serious drawbacks/shortcuts are allowed.

Edit:
    Although, it sounds like your goal is learning... maybe something like a few weeks. *shrug* no clue how fast you learn or what you already know, or what you "know" which is incorrect

Edit 2:
    This thread originally sparked my interest because of the "Big Project + Im using PHP". I find that PHP is only suitable for small projects.
    Last edited by eval(BadCode); 08-17-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    I use (, ; : -) as I please- instead of learning the English language specification: I decided to learn Scheme and Java;

Quote Originally Posted by eval(BadCode) View Post
    Edit 2:
    This thread originally sparked my interest because of the "Big Project + Im using PHP". I find that PHP is only suitable for small projects.
    Any particular reason you say this? We use it on several big* projects at work, and PHP itself has never been a limiting factor. I'm not claiming there might not be some better choices, but I've never seen PHP as an issue. (How some people use it might be an issue, but I won't blame PHP for that. I mean, way back when, I wrote my first Java app as essentially one long procedural main() method. )

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    Any particular reason you say this? We use it on several big* projects at work, and PHP itself has never been a limiting factor. I'm not claiming there might not be some better choices, but I've never seen PHP as an issue. (How some people use it might be an issue, but I won't blame PHP for that. I mean, way back when, I wrote my first Java app as essentially one long procedural main() method. )

In a large system, regardless of language, there are going to be bugs. PHP is not strict enough about typing. Obviously PHP is interpretted and not compiled; so you can't work those bugs out at compile time. It rare to see a large peice of software written in PHP that doesn't have bugs all over the place. This just seems to be the rule from my experience; PHP is the wild west of standards, assuming there are any, it's hard to find libraries to import (which happens in a variety of ways... sometimes they are compiled into PHP) in a sensible fashion... I think SPL (autoloader in paticular) was meant to help, and it did help some.... kinda.

Now, if you're wanting to write a small script. PHP takes the cake; hands down. All that strict typing stuff only gets in the way, it's small enough that you can examine nearly all points of failure and determine for yourself which are important ones to tackle and which ones can slide.

Edit:
    Your point is well made. I agree that it's difficult to work with most PHP authors and I don't see that as a limiting factor to the language directly. I suggest that the Alchemist pick up Netbeans and CakePHP. I think he'll be delighted to see how much can be tackled with CakePHP. Using a framework is a smart idea if you're planning on a large system. It can also help you to not repeat yourself.
    Last edited by eval(BadCode); 08-17-2013 at 07:31 PM.
    I use (, ; : -) as I please- instead of learning the English language specification: I decided to learn Scheme and Java;

@NogDog : I already know how to use the tools I've mentioned.
    @eval(BadCode) : Alright, if you're insisting, I'll do have a look at CakePHP...

Topic update : I'll be using Slim Microframework just for the URL management part to build SEO Friendly URLs.

Personally I hate frameworks because they invariably carry too much extra baggage, you are reliant on the developers to get the job right in any upgrades you run the risk of bringing down your development through bugs or opening yourself up to web vulnerabilities that have yet to be discovered...

Like any job, best know your tool set and how to use your tools and nothing like knowing how your plumbing works rather than seeing a pipe in and a pipe out and wondering what is happening in between.

Notepad++ is an excelent tool for editing programming languages, syntax highlighting, you can hide code sections of large scripts among other functions in the script.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\ View Post
    Personally I hate frameworks because they invariably carry too much extra baggage, you are reliant on the developers to get the job right in any upgrades you run the risk of bringing down your development through bugs or opening yourself up to web vulnerabilities that have yet to be discovered...

Like any job, best know your tool set and how to use your tools and nothing like knowing how your plumbing works rather than seeing a pipe in and a pipe out and wondering what is happening in between.

Notepad++ is an excelent tool for editing programming languages, syntax highlighting, you can hide code sections of large scripts among other functions in the script.
    Alright. Thanks for the input.
    I'll not be using any framework. I'll only be using the URL management part of Slim thats a microframework(not a framework). Remaining, I'll be using the tools mentioned as they are well reputed and preferred my developers.

And one more thing, you guys misunderstood me. I'll be using Geshi for syntax highlighting on the script like this :
    PHP Code:
    <?php

echo "TeXt";
    ?>
    And other languages too... By saying that I'll use geshi, I dont mean a text editor. I'm already using a cool text editor that has syntax highlighting for most popular languages(PSPad). I also use Dreamweaver(sometimes).

With PHP you only need to know how to protect your web pages that use input field like $_POST, $_FILES, $_GET, etc. You will find plenty of examples on this site that will assist you.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thread Information