www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: upload progress bar WITHOUT using APC or Flash

Unhappy upload progress bar WITHOUT using APC or Flash

Hi all

I need to make an upload page for huge files (over 50Mb) and I would add a progress bar.
    I'm on a shared hosting and, at least for now, I can't switch on a VPS. For this reason, I can't install the APC.
    I looked for days without found answers to my question. All the progress bar scripts I found use APC or Flash (that I would avoid).

Someone knows a solution?

Thanks,
    David

I have never used it so cannot vouch for it, but I recalled seeing a PEAR package you could take a look at: http://pear.php.net/package/HTML_Progress2
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thanks NogDog

I tried it but I didn't understood how to use it with in my upload page.
    Tried also the examples in the package, but they returns errors like "Strict Standards: Non-static method PEAR::setErrorHandling() should not be called statically in /http_upload.php on line 16" or "Fatal error: Class 'HTTP_Upload' not found in /http_upload.php on line 18"

I hate when that happens.

The strict standards warning is not fatal (though it would be nice to fix), but the "not found" error obviously needs to be resolved. Looks like it's trying to use this PEAR package -- apparently not a specific dependency for the HTML_Progress2 package, but used by the sample code, perhaps?
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

eBookworm.us

Nothing... it doesn't works
    Or maybe, I'm not able to make it working (I'm at my first experience with php)

Quote Originally Posted by david-lee View Post
    Nothing... it doesn't works
    Or maybe, I'm not able to make it working (I'm at my first experience with php)
    Probably not a simple thing to implement, even for a fairly experienced PHP-er. As I've never tried this, I probably don't have much to add, and if in your place I'd probably still be scouring the interwebs for a ready-made solution. This may be one of the reasons lots of sites use Java or Flash applets to do file uploads, even when it's a PHP site.

eBookworm.us

Before you put too much time into this, I'd suggest that you check to make sure it's even possible to upload such large files to your site. Most shared hosts have strict execution time limits (generally 60 seconds) that make it very difficult (or at least, unreliable) to upload files over 10-20MB.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Yes it's possible.
    I already tried with my upload page using a 50Mb file.

Thread Information