www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Trying to play MP3 with VLC

Trying to play MP3 with VLC

I have made two versions of a tune, one in wma and the other in mp3 stored in separate directories.
    The first part plays correctly in WMP but the MP3 bit does not work can anyone tell me why?
    I have WMP and VLC on the computer. I am using Chrome/Fox/Safari for the mp3.

<script type="text/javascript">
    var browser=navigator.appName;
    if (browser == "Microsoft Internet Explorer")
    location.href=("wma/1.wma");
    else
    location.href=("mp3/1.mp3");
    </script>

Windows 7. i5.

Shouldn't use "chrome fox safari" for invoking an external player, because they're not a part of your OS and so they can't (do what you are asking).

Try using an AUDIO tag when issuing commands for playing files by a browser. (There's no need for WMA container format in this case..., and no WMP of VLC is needed, but you will need Ogg. for firefox because they refuse to support mp3 or mp4[mpa] formats)

Quote Originally Posted by Troy III View Post
    Shouldn't use "chrome fox safari" for invoking an external player, because they're not a part of your OS and so they can't (do what you are asking).

Try using an AUDIO tag when issuing commands for playing files by a browser. (There's no need for WMA container format in this case..., and no WMP of VLC is needed, but you will need Ogg. for firefox because they refuse to support mp3 or mp4[mpa] formats)
    I don't use 'Chrome Fox or Safari' but some people do.
    If they don't have WMP on there computer then they will have some other player which plays mp3 so I needed to cater for them.

I have tried <embed> <object> and <audio> couldn't get any of them to work..

Anyway the whole things is now irrelevant as my Hosting supplier has told me I can't put music on my website..

Thanx for the interest...

I was quoting you, but obviously misinterpreted my advice.
    "chrome fox safari" means a Browser; any browser!

"I have tried <embed> <object> and <audio> couldn't get any of them to work."
    But they do work, you just need to know how, that's all ...

Thread Information