www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: MessCoder - website for programming education

MessCoder - website for programming education

Hi! I'm trying to create a simple web-site dedicated to programming education.

It should provide a collection of programming tasks and facility to check user's answers.

And I think I need some hints or advises from gurus, about how bad is idea and how poorly it is implemented.

http://messcoder.sourceforge.net

Here is what was done so far (It is hosted on free sourceforge.net hosting while it is alpha version, sorry). The idea of checking solutions simply by proposing test data and asking to find an answer was influenced by http://projecteuler.net - however I tried to add randomization of test data.

Please, if you feel inclined to help - check the site briefly (extremely cool if you'll try to sign in and solve one of the tasks) and tell whether you see some disgusting features, problems etc. Or perhaps tell me about some possible improvements I'm missing right now...

Excuse me for currently here are only about 10 tasks (I hope it is sufficient to catch the idea). I also hope that simplified checking method (though having its drawbacks compared to electronic judges) will allow me to create new problems faster.

Great thanks in advance!
    Last edited by RodionGork; 09-18-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Your content is good, though the implementation is quite lacking at the moment. I'm not a fan of overjazzing in CSS, but your page is a good example of one that surely needs a more homey feel.

I ran through two exercises (sum and sum in loop) and was impressed by the responsiveness. I recommend providing the test data as a JSON object so programmers can import the data directly into their language of choice (from what I understand, most all languages have functions for translating JSON into their own data types).

For example:
    In your Sums in Loop problem you provide 3 as simply being a number without any context. in JSON you can do something along the lines of {"ARRAY_SIZE": 3} and have that information portable to almost any language people may be using.

I also think that the submit button should be right below the answer input box so there is less confusion regarding what is being evaluated.

Cheers!

Oh, and if you are able, I'd appreciate a review of my own site acressity.com (it's all about creating experiences you want in life and then following through on them)

Thanks a lot for spending your time to help me.

I fear you are pretty correct about style / design. I'll try to improve UI as far as is in my powers, but perhaps later it would be worth to hire designer for a short master-class

Special thanks for idea about JSON. I shall boil it inside my head for some time to see what is the best way to implement it. Perhaps I'll provide program stubs which could fetch JSON from website for users who prefer work in such way.

Hi Rodion,

I would like to try it but... is a Facebook account required?

I click on Login but the only option I can see is Facebook.

I think you should provide an alternative, you know not everyone is on Facebook.

Thank you for your kind advise. That is the thing I am also thinking about. I judged between Facebook and Google accounts - I hope later I can make them working both - however, now only facebook login is implemented (I tried to do it first since it looks like fb have bit more users, though perhaps a lot of them are duplicates).

I also thought whether I should implement my own registration functionality, but currently I decided not to do it (to avoid making people invent another one password, sending mails etc.) - what is your opinion on this point?

Also I should mention in this thread that I moved the site to better hosting and got a name for it:

http://codeabbey.com

Site at sourceforge will not perform login anymore, I think.

Thread Information